3D flashing tiles.

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

kubilus1
Very interested

3D flashing tiles.

Post by kubilus1 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:02 pm

When using the BMP polygon routines in SGDK, I've noticed that the top and bottom couple of rows of tiles will flash. This can be seen by zooming in with the cube example with flat shading on.

If I try to put any kind of background or text, etc it looks pretty awful. How can I get around this?

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:09 pm

Did you tested on real hardware ? Emulators are generally a bit off there. It has to do with the extended blank stuff, i probably need to improve the timing of VPD enable / disable writes.

kubilus1
Very interested

Post by kubilus1 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:28 pm

I haven't tested on real hardware yet since I don't have a flash cart (waiting on UMDK). I may try burning on sega CD of my test program, but on any emulator I have tried, the bitmap stuff doesn't seem to work correctly so I haven't bothered probably wasting a CDR yet.

Anyways, gens and Kega both have the top and bottom rows blink. Dgen does not blink. If it's only an issue on emulators, I won't worry too much.

EDIT: What I mean is that on emulators any of the BMP mode stuff doesn't work as a built ISO using the LukeProjectCD stuff.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:36 pm

If you don't have a flash cart don't waste a CDR for that, and if you look at this video :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuYFmIEtLLk

You can see that both top and bottom line blinks a bit on real hardware too so i definitely need to fix my timings ;)