Need help planting this MD project on a solid foundation

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

camous
Interested

Post by camous » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:24 pm

Well, I am just about ready to call it quits on genres. The .ani file import function seems to be broken in the version of genres included in the sdk and I cannot find any way of salvaging it.

I am tempted to try my hand at just writing my own .ani importer but the thought of having to reinvent the wheel is annoying me to the point of losing all motivation.

Anywaste, another point has been weighing on my mind. How is one supposed to import raw data into ones project?

Say I have a binary data array of certain length in a file somewhere and I want it to become part of the ROM so I can access it. How is the best way to go about doing that?

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:39 pm

I know it can be a bit frustrating, to be honest i never tested the .ani support in genres but as Kaneda use it a lot i though it was ok in the last SGDK.
Also i will put a new version soon (probably this week) of SGDK, including many changes. One of the big change is the way you can define sprites, basically the resource compiler tool will take a image grid as input and define sprite animations from it. Still it is definitely not the most efficient tool (each sprite is a rectangular area and the SGDK sprite engine itself is quite slow) but it allow to do sprite animations really easily :)

camous
Interested

Post by camous » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:58 pm

We'll see. I'll try my hand with the graphics gale resource code and dll this week and if I can get it to work I'll just bite the bullet and do my own .ani importer. At least I'll be able to get it to do exactly what I need.

But I still would like to know how you are supposed to add raw assets to a project so it becomes a part of the ROM.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:36 pm

You can use tools as bintos or bintoc so you easily convert your raw data as .c or .s file :)

camous
Interested

Post by camous » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:09 pm

Aha, wonderful. I'll have to look into that.