Complete list of functions and commands for SGDK?

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Complete list of functions and commands for SGDK?

Post by POLYGAMe » Fri May 03, 2013 3:44 am

I'm having a play around with the SGDK and writing a little controller test app... when a button is pressed it just says "START pressed" or whatever... the problem is, the text doesn't clear between each button press.

I guessed and was correct in that there is a VDP_clearText(() command and it takes 3 variables... but what exactly are they?

Is there a comprehensive list of SGDK specific variables and functions?

Having fun with this... hopefully be able to get a basic game up and running soon :)

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Fri May 03, 2013 3:51 am

Doh... found it... LOL.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri May 03, 2013 8:10 am

Hi POLYGAMe,

Welcome on the board :) Nice to see new developer here !
The headers file (.h) contains doxygen documentation so you have a description for each methods with theirs parameters in H file. You can also browse the document in HTML form from the "doc" folder in SGDK.

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Fri May 03, 2013 8:48 am

Stef wrote:Hi POLYGAMe,

Welcome on the board :) Nice to see new developer here !
The headers file (.h) contains doxygen documentation so you have a description for each methods with theirs parameters in H file. You can also browse the document in HTML form from the "doc" folder in SGDK.
Yeah, I found it after I'd posted here. lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll be around a while. I've been making games for the last few years. I started out with GameSalad, got tired of the bugs and limitations, so learnt C/C++ and have been building games within Unity for the past couple of years (much simpler than native C++ coding! lol).

I was tossing up whether to release my first TRUE retro game on C64 or Mega Drive... have decided SMD is best, as I am familiar with C and can probably get away with not having to learn ASM :P

I'm thinking of "porting" the first game I ever made... here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13NqZ-ov2uw

Do you think something like that would be achievable with C? I'm not a master coder (pointers do my head in) but I'm learning all the time and I must say, SGDK is brilliant! Even I can understand what I'm doing :P

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Fri May 03, 2013 12:51 pm

POLYGAMe wrote: Yeah, I found it after I'd posted here. lol.

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll be around a while. I've been making games for the last few years. I started out with GameSalad, got tired of the bugs and limitations, so learnt C/C++ and have been building games within Unity for the past couple of years (much simpler than native C++ coding! lol).

I was tossing up whether to release my first TRUE retro game on C64 or Mega Drive... have decided SMD is best, as I am familiar with C and can probably get away with not having to learn ASM :P

Do you think something like that would be achievable with C? I'm not a master coder (pointers do my head in) but I'm learning all the time and I must say, SGDK is brilliant! Even I can understand what I'm doing :P
Your game like looks quite fun really ! It would be nice to see it ported to MD and yeah you can reasonably do it with plain C :)
SGDK try to provide efficients methods and if you meet any performance issues you can be sure to find some help here !

You should check that topic :
viewtopic.php?t=1373&highlight=propeller

djcouchycouch developed a complete game with SGDK and provide his engine freely so you can use it as source of inspiration :)

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Fri May 03, 2013 1:16 pm

Stef wrote:
POLYGAMe wrote: Yeah, I found it after I'd posted here. lol.

Your game like looks quite fun really ! It would be nice to see it ported to MD and yeah you can reasonably do it with plain C :)
SGDK try to provide efficients methods and if you meet any performance issues you can be sure to find some help here !

You should check that topic :
viewtopic.php?t=1373&highlight=propeller

djcouchycouch developed a complete game with SGDK and provide his engine freely so you can use it as source of inspiration :)
Yeah, I saw that! Should be able to learn a thing or two... though that code is certainly well above my level. LOL.