Having trouble compiling the GenRes examples.

SGDK only sub forum

Moderator: Stef

sleffew80

Having trouble compiling the GenRes examples.

Post by sleffew80 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:29 am

I recently set up eclipse with SGDK using the tutorial in the wiki. I am able to compile all of the samples except the ones that use GenRes. When I compile a project that uses GenRes, I get this error: "make: *** [resource.asm] Error 53"

Code: Select all

**** Build of configuration Default for project GenResTileDemo ****

C:\GENESIS\SDK\bin\make -f C:\GENESIS\SDK\makefile 
C:/GENESIS/SDK/bin/mkdir -p out
C:/GENESIS/SDK/bin/gcc  -m68000 -Wall -O1 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-builtin-memset -fno-builtin-memcpy -IC:/GENESIS/SDK/include -Iinclude -Ires -c C:/GENESIS/SDK/src/boot/rom_head.c -o out/rom_head.o
C:/GENESIS/SDK/bin/ld -T C:/GENESIS/SDK/md.ld -nostdlib --oformat binary -o out/rom_head.bin out/rom_head.o
C:/GENESIS/SDK/bin/gcc  -m68000 -Wall -O1 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-builtin-memset -fno-builtin-memcpy -IC:/GENESIS/SDK/include -Iinclude -Ires -c C:/GENESIS/SDK/src/boot/sega.s -o out/sega.o
C:/GENESIS/SDK/bin/genres resource.rc resource.asm
make: *** [resource.asm] Error 53

**** Build Finished ****
Can anyone tell me what I may be doing wrong?[/code]

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:26 am

I do not use GenRes a lot but i remember some people experienced some problems with...
Do you have more detailed log about the Genres error ?
Is your resource.rc file large ? i know that large file can sometime thrown an error in Genres.

sendbit

Post by sendbit » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:43 am

I can't remember which problem that is right now, but I have come across it in the last couple of days. Try re-compiling with the makelib.gen thing. AND make sure that no files in the res folder have characters such as " ", "(", or ")" etc... (any fancy file names). Let me know if that helps.

sleffew80

Post by sleffew80 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:14 pm

Stef wrote:I do not use GenRes a lot but i remember some people experienced some problems with...
Do you have more detailed log about the Genres error ?
Is your resource.rc file large ? i know that large file can sometime thrown an error in Genres.
Unfortunately, that is all the information the compiler gives me which makes it quite frustrating to troubleshoot.
sendbit wrote:I can't remember which problem that is right now, but I have come across it in the last couple of days. Try re-compiling with the makelib.gen thing. AND make sure that no files in the res folder have characters such as " ", "(", or ")" etc... (any fancy file names). Let me know if that helps.
I always compile with makelib.gen and the resource file looks like this:

Code: Select all

BITMAP moon "img/moon.bmp" 0

Also, the resource file is named resource.rc.

I'm sure it probably does have something to do with my syntax though... just can't figure out where exactly the problem is. I'll keep messing around with it and, if I figure it out, I'll post my resolution here for others to see.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:02 pm

Perhaps one of these 2 problems I often read :
- missing the last return (my parsing is looking for xxxx\n)
- missing the MSVCR100.DLL (see viewtopic.php?p=13898#13898)

I just don't know what error 53 is.
From what I read on Make, it's an error coming from genres sent back to make but I didn't throw error 53

from what I read on the net, error 53 could be a system error "file not found" so, if it's the reason what is the file not found ?
resource.rc ?
img/moon.bmp ?

what IDE do you use ?
what the current directory when you call make ?
where is out/sega.o ?

sleffew80

Post by sleffew80 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:08 am

KanedaFr wrote:Perhaps one of these 2 problems I often read :
- missing the last return (my parsing is looking for xxxx\n)
- missing the MSVCR100.DLL (see viewtopic.php?p=13898#13898)

I just don't know what error 53 is.
From what I read on Make, it's an error coming from genres sent back to make but I didn't throw error 53

from what I read on the net, error 53 could be a system error "file not found" so, if it's the reason what is the file not found ?
resource.rc ?
img/moon.bmp ?

what IDE do you use ?
what the current directory when you call make ?
where is out/sega.o ?
Looks like I was missing the MSVCR100.dll file. I installed the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable package and, afterwards, the GenRes examples compiled fine. :) Thank you for your time and help.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:59 pm

so error 53 is a missing file error but in our case, it was the MSVC runtime dll...

Sorry for that, I should REALLY find the time to compile genres with static lib not dynamic ones

sleffew80

Post by sleffew80 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:43 pm

KanedaFr wrote:so error 53 is a missing file error but in our case, it was the MSVC runtime dll...

Sorry for that, I should REALLY find the time to compile genres with static lib not dynamic ones
No need to apologize, GenRes is a great addition to SGDK. Maintaining any piece of software is a great task, especially, when you're offering it for free. :)

The good news is that anyone else that gets error 53 can search the forum and find a resolution.