Timing analysis using Exodus

Official support forum for the Exodus Emulation Platform

Moderator: Nemesis

Matt Grum

Timing analysis using Exodus

Post by Matt Grum » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:04 am

Hi I'm looking to perform some timing analysis of my ROM to find out which parts of the code are using the most cycles. I can't seem to find any tools for doing this in Exodus 2.1 (there is a trace feature but it only records which instructions are executed, not when).

Ideally I'd like to be able to configure certain events, such as a write to a particular address and then log things like the data written and the current cycle count. Is this possible currently?

cero
Very interested

Re: Timing analysis using Exodus

Post by cero » Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:51 pm

If you don't need cycle-accurate reports, you can easily do visual profiling on any emulator or even real hw. VDP_setEnable(0) and (1) around the code, and you will see on screen how many lines it takes. One line is about 500 cpu cycles.

This is a quick and easy method that lets you see, for example, that processing enemy X takes 10% of screen time.

Matt Grum

Re: Timing analysis using Exodus

Post by Matt Grum » Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:20 pm

Thanks. I'm doing a variation of that currently using the background colour, but there are some limitations, you can't see what's going on during h-blank and v-blank, and it's a very manual process. It feels like it would be easy for an emulator to provide timing data directly...