Hello... It's me....

Official support forum for the Exodus Emulation Platform

Moderator: Nemesis

Nemesis
Very interested

Hello... It's me....

Post by Nemesis » Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:56 pm

Yes, I am in fact still alive. In fact, I'm getting fully back into the swing of things. Around six months ago I moved interstate, and cut down my daily work commute from 1.5 hours each way to 20 minutes. Funnily enough, that extra 2+ hours each day is meaning I'm finding I've got a bit more free time. My three kids are also a little older, with no more little ones under 2 running around anymore, so I'm a bit less exhausted in the evenings and have a bit more enthusiasm to tackle projects in the evening. I've got more autonomy at work, so I'm able to delegate more projects and set more realistic schedules, so I'm not stuck in a crazy frantic crunch mode like I was for about three years straight, working to 2am half the time. Basically, life is becoming a bit more sane, and I've decided this project has been languishing long enough.

If you take a look at the Bitbucket repo, you'll find a burst of commits over the last few days. Mostly housekeeping at this stage, but it's a start. My plan is to buckle down and drag this project forward. There's lots of work to do. There are major changes I want to make to the bus model, there's context switching hell creating a performance wall that's very apparent on modern systems, and a cycle-accurate M68000 core is absolutely required to move compatibility forward.

I've also been steadily acquiring arcade hardware for the last decade or so, and I'm now in possession of just about every revision of every arcade hardware platform Sega created from Zaxxon through to the Naomi 2. I see arcade hardware as very low hanging fruit, with very little actual hardware testing having been done. Exodus was built with arcade hardware in mind, and I'll be increasingly focusing on this area. At some point in the future, expect to see systems like the System 16 emulated through Exodus.

So yeah, expect to see me around here from time to time. No idea when the next official release will be at this point, but once I've got a few niggling tasks cleared, I'll properly plan out and schedule the content of the next release and set a target release date.

BigEvilCorporation
Very interested

Re: Hello... It's me....

Post by BigEvilCorporation » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:10 pm

Welcome back, Nemesis! Good to see you around again.
A blog of my Megadrive programming adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

ryanfaescotland
Very interested

Re: Hello... It's me....

Post by ryanfaescotland » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:24 pm

Good to see you again. Never realised you were based in Australia, we visited last year as well, it was great!

Sounds like you've got a much better work / life balance going on, very important when the kids are little cause it's all too true that it only happens once!