Debugging

Official support forum for the Exodus Emulation Platform

Moderator: Nemesis

plamazy

Debugging

Post by plamazy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:35 am

Are there any tutorials for Watchpoints and Breakpoints?

When I create watchpoint, I don't seem to be able to edit it, once it's saved. Also, there are several options that aren't clear to me. I'm trying to break when a memory value is changed. I remember using this before but I can't seem to recall how it works.

plamazy

Re: Debugging

Post by plamazy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:55 am

Also, the disassembly shows A0-A7, which is what's expected for a 68000 but the register watch window shows A1-A8. That's kind of confusing for debugging work.

Nemesis
Very interested

Re: Debugging

Post by Nemesis » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:35 am

Sorry, never really got around to doing tutorials. Watchpoints allow you to break when a memory value changes. You'll want to configure it to target the memory address(es) you're interested in, and untick "On Read", so it only triggers when the data is written to. If you want to only trigger when the data written matches a value or state, you can use a "Write Condition".

The register naming issue in the debugger is really unfortunate, that window was re-done very shortly before release and I didn't spot the error. The fix is in the code repository, and a current build will have it corrected, but I haven't done another release since it was fixed. I didn't expect to be away from this project for so long at the time.