Simplified release of Exodus 1.1 coming soon

Official support forum for the Exodus Emulation Platform

Moderator: Nemesis

Nemesis
Very interested

Simplified release of Exodus 1.1 coming soon

Post by Nemesis » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:04 pm

For the source/SDK release of Exodus, I've got to finish a re-design of the bus system in Exodus, and I'm finding myself rather short on time to complete that task. In the interests of getting an update out into the hands of people who are waiting sooner rather than later, I've decided to do an interim release of what I have ready to go now. This version will include various bugfixes, some significant interface enhancements, and some major performance improvements. It will not however be open source yet, or include the development SDK. Realistically, that's probably a few months off yet, seeing as I'm quite busy over Christmas, and heading over to the US for business in January.

In order to keep the build numbering sensible, the next release will be numbered Exodus 1.1. I'm probably going to jump to version number 2.0 for the source+SDK release, seeing as the major bus overhaul I'm doing justifies a major version number change.

I'm going to get a build ready in the next day or so. This build will include every change I've done up to this point, minus the bus changes, which are still in development.

Merry Christmas!

LocalH
Very interested

Post by LocalH » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:17 pm

Merry Christmas to you too, Nemesis. I await the 1.1 release, even if my computer may not be able to run it at full speed.

On an unrelated note, it'd be nice to have a good debugging emulator for iOS. I have successfully compiled an iOS 7.1 64-bit binary for both asl (or "the macro assembler AS) and asmx (which I understand to be buggy with regards to the 68k) but the only real emulator worth a damn is RetroArch, which is ok but would be nice to have something a little more comprehensive. I do wish I coukd get sixpack compiled, as I could use a good command line converter.

mickagame
Very interested

Post by mickagame » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:44 am

that is a great gift for christmas ! Thanks Nemesis !

deargodwhatisthat

Post by deargodwhatisthat » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:21 pm

deargodwhatisthat

Re: Simplified release of Exodus 1.1 coming soon

Post by deargodwhatisthat » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:59 pm

Nemesis wrote:I'm going to get a build ready in the next day or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXe-5mUeLC8

Sorry for the nagging and impatient vibe I must be giving off, but I've been looking forward to this for quite a while! I'm interested in doing game reviews, but don't want to use inaccurate emulators that may show flaws compared to the stock game on the machine.

I thank you though for coming up with the idea of releasing it early. I love you. I don't care if it's too soon to say that.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:30 am

While doing release testing over the last couple of days, I've found a few bugs that need fixing and a few things that need doing before release, so I'm finishing them off now. Shouldn't take too long, but hard to predict what time I have to work on it this time of year. Release will be very soon though.

tryphon
Very interested

Post by tryphon » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:58 am

Since it's only an interim release, you should release it with the bugs (unless this version is really unusable and more bugged than version 1.0).

thedoug

Post by thedoug » Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi Nemesis, did you implement bank switching in this 1.1 version? Right now I need to change the Sram location in the rom to be able to start some games.

Do you have the TIME pin implemented? Some games uses the TIME to bank switch between the first and second 4MB block, and I´m debugging a game that uses this stuff. (I know the second 4MB block is reserved to Sega Cd, but you can have games larger than 4MB by using this method, and it´s the way the hardware works).

Not all emulator emulates this behaviour, so using Exodus features will be amazing.

Thanks
Last edited by thedoug on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deargodwhatisthat

Post by deargodwhatisthat » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:58 am

Nemesis wrote:While doing release testing over the last couple of days, I've found a few bugs that need fixing and a few things that need doing before release, so I'm finishing them off now. Shouldn't take too long, but hard to predict what time I have to work on it this time of year. Release will be very soon though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXcWn07_z6Q

:(

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:44 am

I hope he's okay, just too busy, and maybe in next month, we will see him again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-bnCpqCfVI

plamazy

Post by plamazy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:43 am

Hi,

Is there any news on the project? I am looking forward to the new version.

Thanks!

Black Zero
Interested

Post by Black Zero » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:33 am

I don't know if there ever going to be a 1.1 release but you can use gamepads/joysticks/controllers in Exodus in 1.0 if you use a program called AntiMicro which enables you to configure keyboard/mouse to a gamepad/joystick/controller.

It can be found here:
https://github.com/Ryochan7/antimicro/releases

I use my official PlaySega controller perfectly in Exodus 1.0 and it's always something I suppose since 1.0 doesn't have native support for controllers.

I'm eagerly anticipating the 1.1 release but who knows, maybe it gets released, maybe it don't.

Anyway great work!

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:10 pm

Build is really painfully close to ready now. I've changed my plans (again!) and the next release will be open source, with the SDK, and I'll just note in the documentation what's going to change with the bus system redesign. In terms of code, I'm really just tidying up some user interface issues right now. The main work left is actually just to do with documentation and the website.

The 1.0 release of Exodus was done on the 30th of April 2013. Since I'm a sucker for patterns, I'm planning to release version 2.0 of Exodus on the 30th of April 2015.

mickagame
Very interested

Post by mickagame » Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:39 pm

The 30 april i know what i will do during all the day !

Black Zero
Interested

Post by Black Zero » Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:15 am

Nemesis wrote:The 1.0 release of Exodus was done on the 30th of April 2013. Since I'm a sucker for patterns, I'm planning to release version 2.0 of Exodus on the 30th of April 2015.
Excellent, this year is getting better and better! :D