6502 core pledge

Official support forum for the Exodus Emulation Platform

Moderator: Nemesis

beannaich

6502 core pledge

Post by beannaich » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:13 am

Hello,

I am a professional software engineer, emulation enthusiast, and fellow emulator developer. I've been following this project since it's initial release, and while my computer can't currently run the Genesis/Mega Drive emulator at full speed, I admire the goals of this project. For the last 4 years I have been studying the NMOS 6502 used by Nintendo's Famicom, and the Atari 5200. I would like to publicly announce my intention to develop a sub-cycle accurate 6502 emulation core for the Exodus platform!

My previous implementations passed all hardware tests I was able to find (No hardware to test on myself), and implicitly expressed all the observed quirks. I would also like to offer an initial ARM7TDMI core since my knowledge of that has been growing in recent months as I polish my GBA emulator and work on compatibility.

So that's one more developer :)

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:42 pm

Awesome! I'd like to thank you for your interest in and support of this project. A sub-cycle accurate 6502 core would be a very welcome addition! I'm currently working towards getting Exodus ready for its full source release, which will include the SDK and initial documentation to get you going.

I'll be happy to support you in your development in whatever way I can. In particular, if you run into any limitations or issues within Exodus along the way, feel free to point them out. The platform is still quite easy to change at this early stage, so I'd rather make changes early where they're required, rather than ignore them and then they become harder to fix as more cores are added.

I'm working towards a release goal of early next year, though no hard and fast date as of yet. It probably depends on how much free time I have around the christmas period.