Import / export of savestates

Official support forum for the Exodus Emulation Platform

Moderator: Nemesis

tryphon
Very interested

Import / export of savestates

Post by tryphon » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Since Exodus is really slow on my computer, I'd like to import savestates from others emulators to study some mechanisms that can occur far after the beginning of the game.

I think it could be a nice (and easy) feature to implement.

But since I need it quit quickly, where could I find a document describing the specifications of Exodus savestates, and another for a popular emulator (I use gens, but Fusion runs at good speed too) ?

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:09 am

Hey there, sorry for the delay in my reply. Exodus savestates are simply renamed zip archives. Just change the file extension to .zip and you can extract it and see the contents. There's an XML document that contains the savestate information, with large binary blobs of data separated into external files.

In terms of importing and exporting savestates, there's documentation out there for the gsx savestate format supported by many other Mega Drive emulators. You'll find problems directly mapping the two together though. The gsx savestate format simply doesn't contain all the necessary information required in order to accurately capture or restore the full system state. You could attempt to map what data you can between the two though. As a note, Exodus fully supports "partial" savestates by design, so there's nothing wrong with only some data being included in a savestate, any data you don't set will simply retain its existing value.

tryphon
Very interested

Post by tryphon » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:23 am

Sorry, I didn't even notice your answer.

Thanks, I may try to make a converter and see what happens :)

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:38 am

Good luck with it all! Let me know if I can help with anything.