So... how does it run on your system?

Official support forum for the Exodus Emulation Platform

Moderator: Nemesis

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Thu May 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Unity311 wrote:Any preferred ROM for benchmarking?
Super Skidmarks and Direct-Color-DMA

superandroidtron

Post by superandroidtron » Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:21 pm

For me, it runs anywhere from 50 to 62 fps on most games, with Mega Turrican being an exception, as it runs from 30-50 fps. My PC has an i7 2630QM, 8GB ram, and a GTX460M with 1.5 GB GDDR5. Oddly, my CPU only hits 50% usage while running Exodus, even when I set the emulator's priority to high. Is there a way to use more of my CPU's potential?

Shaneus

Post by Shaneus » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 am

Nemesis wrote:
Firebrandx wrote:
Nemesis wrote:Can you try the following:
-Select "Settings->Mega Drive->VDP->Settings" from the main menu
-Enable the "Single Buffering" option
And tell me if you now see anything on the screen?
I had already tried that before and nothing changed. Also, toggling full screen just fills the screen with white.

I've also already updated my graphics drivers to the latest versions from AMD.
Do you see a white rectangle with black bars around the edges when you resize the image window, or does the entire window just remain white?
FWIW, I'm having the same issue as well. Intel i5-2500K CPU, ATI/AMD 5850+5970 GPUs (I've disabled Crossfire to test, which I thought could've been an issue as well). Windows 7 x64. Tried various compatibility modes for the executable too with no joy.

Also, I'm running in Windows 7 "test mode", so I'll try it again after disabling that.

Let me know if there's anything you want me to test or try installing/removing or whatever. I live in Australia (Victoria) as well, so hopefully it wouldn't involve much to-ing and fro-ing while one of us sleeps if you wanted me to do some active testing :)

Alegend45

Post by Alegend45 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:29 pm

Oh god, my CPU isn't good enough for this. I'll have to wait until I get a quad-core i5 to play around with Exodus at playable framerates. Right now, I get at max, 15 FPS, and usually around 12-13 FPS, at least in Sonic the Hedgehog.

Specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron G540
GPU: nVidia GeForce GT 520
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Motherboard: Some el cheapo I got off of eBay for $40.

Yeah, the GPU is awesome, but the CPU is quite anemic.
IBM 5150, YEEEEEEEEEEEAH

But seriously, if you have a question about the IBM 5150 PC, ask me, and I can either answer it, or point you to someone who is more knowledgeable.

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:42 pm

i got +100Mhz :P

Now 3770K running at 4400mhz (core 1.312v), very small speed up in exodus, but it good anyway.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:21 pm

Has anyone managed to get this running under Windows XP Professional SP3, Version 2002?

I'd like to be able to get this up and running but when I run it I get a Message as:

"Exodus.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

Any Ideas?

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:52 pm

You need 64bit windows.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Karate_Sniper
Interested

Post by Karate_Sniper » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:01 pm

I got a i3 540 3ghz,8gigs of ram and a geforce 630 4gb, and with my own game to test with, the musics are lagging (tfm engine). The game uses less than 1k of memory, and a very simplistic engine, yet it lags. But the debugging is awesome. I don't plan to change the cpu just for the emulator, so it would be nice to have a lower hardware requiement, because there's no other emulator with these capabilities like this.

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:32 am

Karate_Sniper wrote:so it would be nice to have a lower hardware requiement, because there's no other emulator with these capabilities like this.
Yeah, there's no other emulators with these capabilities like this, but optimisation for Exodus emulator very danger! So, only one way - buy good CPU.

Karate_Sniper
Interested

Post by Karate_Sniper » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:47 am

But not everybody can buy an expensive cpu, or if they can they wont do it for just an emulator. Would it be possible if the emulator get a Fusion level of compatibility option with the same debug features? And for those who have a very fast cpu can use the more accurate emulation.

Gens K-mod has some really good debug features, but the compatibility is not that good, just an example: The TFM sound engine almost always locks up the game for me, and with this, I can't test the code I made without random freezes. I tested if the sound engine is faulty on the real hardware too.(Not with an everdrive, I have an eprom programmer with 16-bit eproms) The code worked flawlessly, so the emulator was simply not enough to do the job for me.

My point is really that if somebody just don't have the money for a really good cpu or a completely new computer, and wants to sacrifice the precise emulation a little and develop a software for the console, it shouldn't be left out without an option.

I know it's hard to change the emulator like this, but I think its a valid point.

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Sat Aug 17, 2013 2:53 pm

Karate_Sniper wrote:But not everybody can buy an expensive cpu, or if they can they wont do it for just an emulator. Would it be possible if the emulator get a Fusion level of compatibility option with the same debug features?
Well... If we look from different angle, Kega compared to ZSNES emulator. Both emulators not perfect, uses hacks, not cycle accurate VDP, etc.

Exodus has same targets as BSNES\Higan - emulate console accurately as possible, without hacks, and no matter how many resources it need.

Currently VDP eat CPU as beast, if nemesis decrease cycles or insert some dirty hacks, it may broke Direct Color DMA and few other demo. This very high sacrifice isn't it?

In Next release M68000 will be as new high impact on performance, you see here no room for extreme optimisation.

If next version will run on my 3770K slow, i will wait new CPU many years. :wink:

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:32 am

Shadow wrote:Well... If we look from different angle, Kega compared to ZSNES emulator. Both emulators not perfect, uses hacks, not cycle accurate VDP, etc.

Exodus has same targets as BSNES\Higan - emulate console accurately as possible, without hacks, and no matter how many resources it need.
Just where in the hell do you get your "information" from? Kega's comparable to ZSNES, especially in terms of accuracy?!? I wasn't aware Kega used any specific hacks at all (in the emulation code)? :roll: No emulators are perfect and they probably never will be. Not Exodus, not even higan. I don't believe you completely grasp the purposes of emulators like Exodus and higan... and you also seem to fail to realize that the overwhelming majority of users couldn't care less about 'accuracy' as long as they can play Sonic or Mario. You care so much about 'accuracy' yet I seem to remember a few years ago you were bugging Snake on Eidolon's Inn saying Kega's PSG levels were inaccurate because they didn't match your clone model 2 hardware.

@ Karate_Sniper, you have to understand that no two emulators are the same. In this case, the comparison between Kega and Exodus and the system requirements. When Kega Fusion was released years ago, at that time it had high system requirements for achieving full-speed emulation, especially of 32X games in particular. Hopefully in a few years from now next-gen hardware will be (more) capable of running Exodus full-speed out-of-the-box without overclocking. :P

Also it all boils down to the author's approach of the emulation and the emulator's main purpose. Exodus seems to be more geared towards cycle-accurate emulation and tons of developer/debugging features which adds more overhead, thus making it less than ideal for causal players... at the moment at least (wait a few generations of new hardware).

Shadow
Very interested

Post by Shadow » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:56 am

King Of Chaos wrote:Just where in the hell do you get your "information" from? Kega's comparable to ZSNES, especially in terms of accuracy?!
Snake don't want do things which no needed for gamers. (Full color borders emulation, color dots, your game "pier solar", 68k address error, and VDP with full demo passes (include Direct Color DMA))

Currently Kega just basic emulator for play games, no any serious attempt to deep emulation.
King Of Chaos wrote:No emulators are perfect and they probably never will be.
Yeah.
King Of Chaos wrote:I seem to remember a few years ago you were bugging Snake on Eidolon's Inn saying Kega's PSG levels were inaccurate because they didn't match your clone model 2 hardware.
King Of Chaos, you hate me so much, isn't it? Forget it, i don't want your Kega anymore.

Genplus GX and Exodus better for me, they have good future, sorry!

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:34 am

Kega a basic emulator ?
Kega is already *very* accurate, of course now you have more accurate emulators as Genplus GX or Exodus but still Kega is pretty accurate and good enough to play almost perfectly every game with descent PC requirement. For me Exodus could be very nice to test my devs but still it requires a very powerful computer (which i don't have) so almost time i use Kega and only use Exodus for very specific case when speed is not important :)

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:29 pm

The amount of misinformation this guy spouts is mindboggling.