Emulating Sega Pico

For people looking for educative games :)
Cowering

USA Pico dumps

Post by Cowering » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:40 pm

Hi All!

Just a few pics from MESS to drool over :)

All the USA carts are dumped now (and from two different color carts too to check versions). I'm about 1/2 done scanning in the pages. That will take longer than dumping the carts (sigh)

If anyone in the USA has a decent collection of JAP PICO, I'd love to dump those also.

Last edited by Cowering on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:09 am

Wow, that must've taken a lot of work. I'm glad to see these carts are now being dumped on-mass. I picked up a few of them, but they're just too damn big to get large numbers of them shipped over here. Shipping costs more than the games themselves. And yeah, the scanning is a pain. That's where I ran out of steam.

If you don't already have it, I picked up the Japanese version of Sonic the Hedgehog Gameworld. I can probably dump that ROM and send you the scans if you haven't obtained this cart. That's the only Japanese cart I've got though.

Cowering

Pico Dumps

Post by Cowering » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:58 pm

Yeah, all the USA ones are done, and most of the books are scanned.. I have not found a 'perfect' way to remove the glued in page to keep it from being slightly damaged.. maybe you have a better technique? I have a 1200DPI Legal Size scanner, which thankfully can scan two pages at once.. making things a little easier to keep lined up.

Hmm.. maybe i'll stick one of my many Richard Scary books in the oven at about 200F and see if I can persuade the glue to let go.

Oh, and since you did the Mickey (U) and Sonic (U), I thought you were in the USA also. If you are in Europe, there are TONS of language specific versions to get that I can't afford to ship across the Atlantic myself.

I do indeed own Sonic (J), which made me make a slight alteration to my copier. I had hooked up only one ground signal, but sonic (J) would only dump a repeating 512byte pattern until i hooked together the other grounds on the cart. Maybe it has something to do with the IO port the jap stuff can use and the amount of current it might draw.

I'd love to see the inside of one of those special jap pico carts so I can emulate the IO pin. I suspect it is using the serial mode of the genesis type controller port, since that type of IO would already have been in the silicon of the Sega ASICs common to Genesis and Pico.

Cow
Last edited by Cowering on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cowering

These japs are suckage :(

Post by Cowering » Thu Jan 01, 2009 4:33 pm

I got most of the jap pico carts now.. the newer ones are made in china and they suck to dump.. the build quality is very poor and any flexing of the pcb inside the cart makes them flaky.

The game with the code 'HPC-6116' (still trying to translate the names) is 32mbit! That's the only one i've found so far.. and it has SRAM inside the epoxy blob with a gate to enable it. I'll have to mod my copier to keep the SRAM signal deactivated before I can finish that one.

I was going to release GoodPico today, but I'd rather do it after getting all these new carts done.. who knows when that will be.