New translation patch glitches in Regen, help?

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

SteveMartin
Interested

New translation patch glitches in Regen, help?

Post by SteveMartin » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:43 am

A translation I was a part of was released today, for an RPG called Barver Battle Saga.

http://www.romhacking.net/trans/1467/

The game screws up when you play it in Regen, namely at the title screen if you choose New Game, it goes black and you have to press A to continue in game. In game, if you try to save it freezes.

I've tested the game with Kega and none of these errors are there. I'm wondering if it's an emulator issue or if there is something wrong with the patch. If anyone could, I'd really appreciate if you could test the patched ROM on a flash cartridge and report the results on real hardware.

If anyone is able to do this, please respond :) Thanks!

notaz
Very interested

Post by notaz » Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:49 pm

Regen is correct, here is a screenshot from PAL MD1 (after pressing start):

My guess is that you are relying on RAM being cleared on power-on, where in fact it contains random data when MD starts. Same goes for save data:
You can add some magic constant or simple checksum to check if save data is valid.

In either case, good work with the translation! Looks like a nice RPG.

SteveMartin
Interested

Post by SteveMartin » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:52 am

Well, the hacker disabled Sram init and now saving works perfectly, on flash carts and Regen. I guess that was the solution, though it confuses me since that would seem to mean that sram is disabled entirely.

Thanks for the info :)

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:10 pm

Awesome job with the translation, this is quite rare for Genesis games so thank you very much !

You are mentionning in the readme that the patch also includes a fix for the missing DAC samples in the original ROM: out of curiosity, what does the patch do ? Did the original cartridge had additional hardware that make ROM dump not working properly ? it seems very common with those unlicensed games...