Regen 0.95

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

AamirM
Very interested

Regen 0.95

Post by AamirM » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:44 am

Hi,

After getting some free time, I finally decided to fix the last remaining VDP bugs. Now Regen should be almost perfect in timing sensitive games. But I guess we'll see. SMS/GG/SG/SCsupport has been added as well. Anyways, download it from here.

EDIT:
Link updated.

stay safe,

AamirM
Last edited by AamirM on Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:32 am

A couple things to note before I head to bed...

-The sound in the SMS/GG game Sonic The Hedgehog 2 sounds off. Kega/MEKA gets this portion correct. SuperHQ or any sound options don't make a difference.
-Loading a SMS/GG game that has a Genesis counterpart with the same name causes it to load cheats for the game, but the cheats are unsupported.
-The following Game Genie (converted to hex) codes for Comix Zone don't work in Regen, but do work in Kega and Gens...

Code: Select all

[0]
Name=Infinite Health
0=Off
1=On,1D0412:31FC,1D0414:04FF,1D0416:BF04
The GG version of the codes is: 9TCB-5CJW,96CB-4JAY,ATCB-59J0

A suggestion:

-Cheat support (GG and PAR) for SMS and the GG (yeah, asking for it again, hahaha).

I'll do some more testing tomorrow. :)

Fred

Post by Fred » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:57 am

What is zlib1.dll? Had to grab that to get regen working.

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:17 am

Weird, I didn't need that library.

Great work on the SMS/GG stuff!

Same old Genesis sound issues. Castlevania Bloodlines BGM 26 (among the usual.) I check that song every friggin' time. :roll: It sounds constrained. It's like the sound doesn't have enough "bandwidth," "space," or "elbowroom." Like it's clipping...

Let it BREATHE.
Also, Regen's video is still blurry compared to Kega Fusion.

I really hope you keep up the work on your Winamp/XMPlay VGM plugin. Right now you're definitely winning the race of "person who has released the best VGM player." If you kept the plugin up to the quality of Regen 100% (better volume levels and DAC panning, newest SMS sound engine,) you'd be winning even more.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:06 am

Hi,
What is zlib1.dll? Had to grab that to get regen working.
'

http://roxahris.googlepages.com/zlib1.dll

stay safe,

AamirM

NeKit1000

Post by NeKit1000 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 5:19 pm

Thanks for the great emulator! But is it possible to emulate Sonic The Hedgehog beta (MD)? It works in the Green Hill Zone, but it freezes in the Clock Work Zone and others with message: "Address Error $0007B2F5$0007B2F5". Here is rom.

eighty5cacao
Interested

Post by eighty5cacao » Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:07 pm

Sorry I did not get this comment in before Regen 0.95 was released. I have been very busy with schoolwork, and my final exams just ended a few days ago. I am now on break and will be able to check the forums more regularly. With that said:

Concerning the long list of unlicensed games I previously mentioned, I have almost certainly erred in assuming that they were all supported by Kega Fusion, and for that I apologize.
The problem is that I never actually bothered to test them in Kega Fusion. As I mentioned a while ago, I was watching the "Pirate ROM Hunt" series of videos by a YouTube user named CrashManEXE. While the emulator CrashManEXE is using is indeed Kega Fusion, I didn't consider that some of the ROMs he was using were probably cracked dumps rather than good dumps.

Also, a feature request with regard to the "Stretch" option: The current implementation seems to cut off the top and bottom of the Genesis's 240-pixel-high mode, used mainly(?) in PAL games. (See the homebrew "Glass Breaker MD" by TmEE, which puts score/time indicators on the bottom of the screen where they will be cut off.) Could we have separate horizontal and vertical stretch options, or at least modify the stretch option to check whether the system is NTSC or PAL?

Thank you very much for all the great work.

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:08 pm

NeKit1000 wrote:Thanks for the great emulator! But is it possible to emulate Sonic The Hedgehog beta (MD)? It works in the Green Hill Zone, but it freezes in the Clock Work Zone and others with message: "Address Error $0007B2F5$0007B2F5". Here is rom.
There is no real Sonic 1 beta. Just a hoax ROM and a remake ROM, no true beta ROM. The problem is probably within the game itself.

Snake
Very interested

Post by Snake » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:20 pm

Aamir, the way you are emulating VCELL scroll is incorrect. Not entirely sure how you're doing it, but I can probably help you out if you need it.

[edit] I think I know whats wrong. PM on the way.
Last edited by Snake on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

edc2008

Post by edc2008 » Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the new version. I have a problem though. I am testing version 0.95 out on a Pentium M processor laptop 1.70GHz. after around 10 to 15 seconds of play on either a Genesis or SMS game the emulator freezes up and I have to End Task it. I haven't tried it on my main computers yet, but I have tried previous versions of Regen on the laptop and they do not freeze up on it.

Let me know if there is any more information you need.

Thanks.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:32 am

Hi,
Snake wrote:Aamir, the way you are emulating VCELL scroll is incorrect. Not entirely sure how you're doing it, but I can probably help you out if you need it.

[edit] I think I know whats wrong. PM on the way.
Oh, so thats what was causing some of the leftmost colums in F1 World Championship to not scroll. Thanks, I'll fix it now.
I am testing version 0.95 out on a Pentium M processor laptop 1.70GHz
I have exactly the same processor and it works fine here. Whats your grpahics/soundcard?
Also, a feature request with regard to the "Stretch" option: The current implementation seems to cut off the top and bottom of the Genesis's 240-pixel-high mode, used mainly(?) in PAL games. (See the homebrew "Glass Breaker MD" by TmEE, which puts score/time indicators on the bottom of the screen where they will be cut off.) Could we have separate horizontal and vertical stretch options, or at least modify the stretch option to check whether the system is NTSC or PAL?
I'll have a look at it.

stay safe,

AamirM

edc2008

Post by edc2008 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:08 am

Quote:
I am testing version 0.95 out on a Pentium M processor laptop 1.70GHz

I have exactly the same processor and it works fine here. Whats your grpahics/soundcard?
The graphics is an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 for mobile - 82852/82855 GM/GME

Sound is a Realtek AC97

I have tried it on another laptop of the same make and it freezes after 5 to 10 seconds as well.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Hi,
The sound in the SMS/GG game Sonic The Hedgehog 2 sounds off. Kega/MEKA gets this portion correct. SuperHQ or any sound options don't make a difference.
Disable YM2413 and try again in SuperHQ mode.
The graphics is an Intel Extreme Graphics 2 for mobile - 82852/82855 GM/GME

Sound is a Realtek AC97

I have tried it on another laptop of the same make and it freezes after 5 to 10 seconds as well.
Strange. Did you modified ini file? If not try setting the "SoundBufferSize" in it to 15.

stay safe,

AamirM

Eke
Very interested

Re: Regen 0.95

Post by Eke » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:35 pm

AamirM wrote:Hi,

After getting some free time, I finally decided to fix the last remaining VDP bugs. Now Regen should be almost perfect in timing sensitive games. But I guess we'll see. SMS/GG/SG/SCsupport has been added as well. Anyways, download it from here. Had to upload to this because I can't access my FTP from my univ. internet and my own internet connection is broken atm. I would appreciate if somebody could upload it some good place with no popups/time limits etc... ;) .

stay safe,

AamirM
congrats, all "VDP timing sensitive" games I've tested seems to be working without glitch so far, you finally did it ;-)

one reminder though, Super Street Fighter 2 banking mechanism seems to be broken (red screen on startup), tried with autofix checksum enabled and disabled

edc2008

Post by edc2008 » Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:21 pm

Strange. Did you modified ini file? If not try setting the "SoundBufferSize" in it to 15.
No I haven't changed anything in the ini file. This is a "straight out of the zip" version I am using. I tried changing the SoundBufferSize to 15 and it was an improvement but it still freezes up.

As I have been trying out your paddle control emulation on Alex Kidd BMX Trial, I have been using the in game timer to measure how long it runs for before it freezes.

On the default buffer size (which is 7 if I'm correct) the game's timer runs for 20 seconds, plus 5 seconds or so to get past the title screen, before the emulator freezes.

Using 15 for the buffer size, the game timer runs for on average 28 seconds before freezing, plus the 5 or so seconds to get past the title screen.

I hope that is of some use.