Source Code

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

Christuserloeser
Very interested

Source Code

Post by Christuserloeser » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:46 pm

I was under the assumption that Regen would stay closed source, but then I read your statement on the old pages:
AamirM wrote:This will be my last post on this subject. As I said I will be releasing the sources when I think they are done and they will be really helpful for others.
Currently they are not. I still have to re-write many things using clean code.
Also the emulator is not complete. I still have things to add (including Master System, SegaCD, 32X support).
Yes, I have taken help from other emulator sources like Gens but do remember it initially wasn't open source too. In the meantime I am offering my help to anyone who wants it.
I am not a coder, but I am looking forward to your source code release. :D
http://www.DCEvolution.net - Gigabytes of free Dreamcast software for you

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:55 pm

If you're not a programmer, then why are you looking forward to the release? :?:

Christuserloeser
Very interested

Post by Christuserloeser » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:09 pm

Because it will help others to improve their emulators, or even to port Regen to other platforms - plus it also will solve the license issues with Regen.

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:11 pm

Psh, licensing issues.

ElBarto
Very interested

Post by ElBarto » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:51 am

Christuserloeser wrote:Because it will help others to improve their emulators, or even to port Regen to other platforms - plus it also will solve the license issues with Regen.
I agree, I would love to port it on my FreeBSD

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Oct 08, 2008 5:14 pm

Hi,
Christuserloeser wrote:Because it will help others to improve their emulators, or even to port Regen to other platforms - plus it also will solve the license issues with Regen.
Regen doesn't have any licensing issues. What issues are you talking about?

stay safe,

AamirM

Christuserloeser
Very interested

Post by Christuserloeser » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:23 am

Look, I don't want another discussion about the GPL with you. We do disagree on that point, so let's rest the case.

All the GPL does is to ask you to release the source code to your modified variants of the code you used. So, once you decide to release the source code, you'd give the code back to the GPL and everything's fine.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:55 am

Hi,
Look, I don't want another discussion about the GPL with you. We do disagree on that point, so let's rest the case.
Me neither ;) .
All the GPL does is to ask you to release the source code to your modified variants of the code you used. So, once you decide to release the source code, you'd give the code back to the GPL and everything's fine.
I am not using anything GPL so I don't have to follow GPL.

stay safe,

AamirM

Christuserloeser
Very interested

Post by Christuserloeser » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:35 pm

To quote yourself:
AamirM wrote:Yes, I have taken help from other emulator sources like Gens but do remember it initially wasn't open source too.
If you were using code from Gens then you were using GPL'd code. It doe not matter if you or byuu think that Gens doesn't "comply with its own license" as you once put it - Gens code is, was and remains GPL'd.

Many other parts you used for Regen use GPL-derived licenses like MAME, Starscream, etc., which as well do require you to release the source code.

I understand and actually don't have a problem with you not releasing the source code until you think it's cleaned up and good enough for a release, so I am looking forward to that day.

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:18 pm

I wonder: how far GPL "code contamination" does apply ?

Let's say for example you borrow some piece of code from a GPL project to read pad inputs, or get inspirated by some code snippets (understand, do some copypasting with small modifications) but does not use the "whole" original source file, does your code becomes GPL anyway ?

what is the limit ? a project ? a file ? a single line of code ?

I would say that in that case, proper crediting is enough but I'm not sure, maybe someone with "software propriety" background could answer ?

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:22 pm

Hi,

Here we go again :D .
If you were using code from Gens then you were using GPL'd code. It doe not matter if you or byuu think that Gens doesn't "comply with its own license" as you once put it - Gens code is, was and remains GPL'd.
I didn't take a single line of code from Gens. I just took some information which isn't governed by GPL in any way. Even then, that is completely credited in the readme which I don't have to do but I have because I really appreciate the hard work of Stef (and others as well).
Many other parts you used for Regen use GPL-derived licenses like MAME, Starscream, etc., which as well do require you to release the source code.
Regen doesn't use any MAME code. The M68000 and Z80 emulators license just requires me to credit their authors which I have. The supplied NTSC filter plugin is LGPL so I can use it as a DLL without opening my own code but opening my modifications to the original code, which btw, I have done and the modified sources is available from a link at Eidolon's inn. If they can't find it I can post them here. ZLIB is under MIT/BSD like license which doesn't even require me to credit them but I have. LZMA code used to support the 7z format is under the following license:
Igor Pavlov, as the author of this Code, expressly permits you to
statically or dynamically link your Code (or bind by name) to the
interfaces of this file without subjecting your linked Code to the
terms of the CPL or GNU LGPL. Any modifications or additions
to this file, however, are subject to the LGPL or CPL terms.
Again, I am not violating any license.
I understand and actually don't have a problem with you not releasing the source code until you think it's cleaned up and good enough for a release, so I am looking forward to that day.
I don't have any problem with you either. I am just a bit annoyed at your false accusations/allegations/claims on Regen and myself. Even though I am not releasing my code, I always try to help others whenever I can.

Finally, I am again repeating this but Regen does not violate any license in any way.

stay safe,

AamirM

Christuserloeser
Very interested

Post by Christuserloeser » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:25 pm

I thought you were going to release your code ?

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi,
I thought you were going to release your code ?
Yes probably I will. But not anytime soon.

stay safe,

AamirM

Christuserloeser
Very interested

Post by Christuserloeser » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:37 pm

I am glad to hear that, AamirM.

Eke wrote:I wonder: how far GPL "code contamination" does apply ?

Let's say for example you borrow some piece of code from a GPL project to read pad inputs, or get inspirated by some code snippets (understand, do some copypasting with small modifications) but does not use the "whole" original source file, does your code becomes GPL anyway ?

Basically there is no contamination at all. - However, the modified/copypasted/borrowed code is, and remains GPL'd.

You can release your program/code under whatever license, even keep it closed source, but to comply with the GPL you have to release the source code to those parts of your program that make use of the code mentioned above.