Moderator: AamirM

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Nov 06, 2008 5:56 pm

Hi,
Gerrie wrote: You might want to look into the following DWM API calls:

DwmSetDxFrameDuration
DwmSetPresentParameters

I have not done any testing, but it seems these functions will control how the DWM updates its screen.
Thanks. I'll try them out soon enough.

To be honest, I don't care much about Vista anyway :roll: .

stay safe,

AamirM

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:20 pm

Wait for Windows 7, it'll blow everyone's mind. With the features being showcased off now, it's becoming pretty impressive, not to mention stable. :)

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:43 am

Hi,
King Of Chaos wrote:Wait for Windows 7, it'll blow everyone's mind. With the features being showcased off now, it's becoming pretty impressive, not to mention stable. :)
I hope it does. Its not just Vista. Its been happening to most of MS products. Vista, Office, VS2008...all slow bloated stuff.

stay safe,

AamirM

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:11 pm

Well, the current Windows 7 builds are said to run VERY fast on older laptops which couldn't run Vista. The system requirements for Windows 7 should be less than what's required for Vista.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Nov 07, 2008 4:38 pm

it will still be more bloated than XP...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

Fred

Post by Fred » Fri Nov 07, 2008 5:11 pm

King Of Chaos wrote:Well, the current Windows 7 builds are said to run VERY fast[...]. The system requirements for Windows 7 should be less than what's required for Vista.
That piques my interest. I think that there's a possibility that windows 7 will be awesome, based on small things i've heard here and there. But who knows...
Only real downside i've seen yet is that it looks like crapsta(based on my very small usage of it).

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Fri Nov 07, 2008 7:14 pm

I'll be honest.

There's nothing actually wrong with Windows Vista. It works perfectly for all intents and purposes. I have 3 computers now that have Windows Vista on them, and really, I would never downgrade back to Windows XP for any reason. I turned off UAC, disabled the search indexer, and used the hidden administrator account, and I have 0 problems whatsoever.

The only real issues Vista had were addressed in Service Pack 1 (and some remaining will probably get addressed in Service Pack 2). Most of the crashes users reported were due to third party drivers from Nvidia and ATI that were pretty buggy and unstable which caused a bunch of BSODs and other issues. For the most part now, the drivers issue crashing and/or locking up Windows Vista is gone. Vista as it is now is pretty stable, with only little small bugs here and there that will probably be addressed in Windows 7.

If you're skeptical because of Windows 7, don't be. From what I read they're either retooling or removing User Account Control, and optimizing the system itself to run faster on systems, including some older systems. The 'Vista' look in Windows 7 has changed with the latest internal build they have, with the new Superbar feature, and the Aero Shake feature they're adding.

If anything, I believe Microsoft has learned their lessons from Vista, and will prove that it's fine to use Windows 7 when it's out. Until then, I'm sticking with Vista, since it rocks! ;)

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:33 pm

Hi,
King Of Chaos wrote:There's nothing actually wrong with Windows Vista. It works perfectly for all intents and purposes. I have 3 computers now that have Windows Vista on them, and really, I would never downgrade back to Windows XP for any reason. I turned off UAC, disabled the search indexer, and used the hidden administrator account, and I have 0 problems whatsoever.
I hate to say this, I really do, but its not about that "Vista doesn't have problems". Its that it doesn't provide any real benefits over XP. And if it does, like security (UAC, admin account), search indexer then people turn it off ;) .

I have spent a lot of time tweaking Vista. I already had SP1 installed, search indexer off etc.. but its still not fast. I wouldn't have any problems with if it was just a bit slow than XP, but no, its quite a lot slower. Maybe its my hardware, but its quite more than what Vista requires. A friend (and classmate) of mine recently bought a new PC with a C2D, 1G RAM, and 256MB ATi video card. He had Vista installed first but now he is downgrading to XP because of Vista's slow speed and some softwares we use which don't work in Vista. The very same guy used (and still does) an old 450Mhz Dell Optiplex GX1 (with a P2 or P3, I don't remember) which he uses regularly and uses XP quite comfortably on it. Heck, that guy is a dsp genius and makes and runs quite heavy MATLAB/Simulink programs on it.
King Of Chaos wrote:If you're skeptical because of Windows 7, don't be. From what I read they're either retooling or removing User Account Control, and optimizing the system itself to run faster on systems, including some older systems. The 'Vista' look in Windows 7 has changed with the latest internal build they have, with the new Superbar feature, and the Aero Shake feature they're adding.
They promised quite interesting things with Vista as well (like WinFS) but never delivered. So I pray MS deliver this time. After all, Windows 7 is rumored to be the last Windows OS ever.

stay safe,

AamirM

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:36 pm

OS is good when it runs acceptably on a P166MMX with 64MB of RAM, only 98SE manages that, and probably some Linuxes... XP is a nightmare on there, and Vista would not even run...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Sat Nov 08, 2008 5:02 pm

Of course Vista still has problems, no OS is perfect... but, the issues people were complaining about are more or less non-existent now. Your friend's computer looks like it couldn't run it. The first Vista comp I got had to have 2GB of RAM and a pretty nice card, and Vista worked fine on it.

However, what really changed my way of thinking about Vista is this new computer with 4GB RAM and Windows Vista 64-bit. It's way, way faster than my XP PC and it's actually pretty stable feeling. Vista boots up completely within 30 seconds, which really makes everything feel strong and smooth.

Yes, I'm sure XP would work even faster on this PC, but honestly, I really have no use for XP anymore as Vista does what XP does for me.

And yes, I hope that Microsoft does deliver on the promises with Windows 7. I've been keeping track of all current progress on 7 and I'm really impressed thus far.

Oh, and I actually have ran Vista on a P3 with 256MB RAM and an el cheapo card before. It took a lot of tweaking to do it, but it's possible. :P

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:57 pm

Hi,
King Of Chaos wrote:Oh, and I actually have ran Vista on a P3 with 256MB RAM and an el cheapo card before. It took a lot of tweaking to do it, but it's possible. :P
Funny, cause the last time I tried doing this it spit out that I didn't had at least 512 MB RAM :P .

Anyways, I am far away from Windows right now using Linux mostly and developing GTK+ port of Regen ;) .

stay safe,

AamirM

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:41 pm

AamirM wrote:Anyways, I am far away from Windows right now using Linux mostly and developing GTK+ port of Regen ;) .
Ick poo. :(

deniseweird

Post by deniseweird » Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:02 pm

AamirM wrote:Anyways, I am far away from Windows right now using Linux mostly and developing GTK+ port of Regen ;) .
What happened to Qt? Well, any GUI is still a GUI though, so I don't want to complain. But I like Qt more. And Haiku of course. My real love is Haiku.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:20 pm

Hi,
What happened to Qt? Well, any GUI is still a GUI though, so I don't want to complain. But I like Qt more. And Haiku of course. My real love is Haiku.
Well, I looked at Qt as well but GTK+ is better IMO. It is easier, and provides a C interface which suited me. There are other benefits as well but I don't want to go into them.

If GTK+ works on Haiku, then it shouldn't be hard to do a haiku port. Otherwise forget about it for a loooong time :P . And I mean really long. Sorry but I have loads of other stuff going on which needs my attention. I haven't done any real emulation related things for quite a while now which really sucks. I always find myself working on these frontend related stuff more and more and these take quite a bit of my time which I could be spending for example on adding 32x or SegaCD emulation. And when I get some time to improve on emulation some real life problems get in the way. Last emulation related stuff I did was adding SMS/GG/SG1000/SC3000/SF7000(partial) to Regen. Emulation of these systems will be available in the Linux port. A Windows release is still quite far far, FAR away. In fact, the windows build is completely broken at the moment and won't even compile :D . And then there is my PC-Engine emulator which desparately needs an update (a complete rewrite in fact) and I wish to work on it more than anything. And the real sad part is that my exams are starting from Monday :( . So even less time to do this stuff.

When I was a newbie at emulation, I had all the time in the world. And now that I know a lot more and can make something good, all the time has disappeared. Life is such a bitch.

So that was a rant+update from me.

stay safe,

AamirM

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:07 am

Don't you want to release a "Final" 1.00 version of (regular, good ol') Windows Regen before emulating other systems?