Regen 0.93 Beta 4 + new Debuggers

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:50 am

Hi,
SmartOne wrote: Don't you want to release a "Final" 1.00 version of (regular, good ol') Windows Regen before emulating other systems?
The "Final" 1.0 version will come when I have finished adding 32x and SegaCD emulation to Regen.

Speaking of which, I always wanted to ask a question but always forgot. See the other new topic ;) .

stay safe,

AamirM

Snake
Very interested

Post by Snake » Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:31 pm

AamirM wrote:And then there is my PC-Engine emulator which desparately needs an update (a complete rewrite in fact) and I wish to work on it more than anything.
DO IT!

(I've always wanted to do that, but I promised the MagicEngine author, years ago, that I wouldn't)

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:07 am

Hi,
Snake wrote:DO IT!

(I've always wanted to do that, but I promised the MagicEngine author, years ago, that I wouldn't)
Haha :) ....at least we would've had a free MagicEngine alternative........right?? :twisted:

stay safe,

AamirM

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:00 pm

AamirM wrote:The "Final" 1.0 version will come when I have finished adding 32x and SegaCD emulation to Regen.
"Regen 0.94" : Apparently Sega CD and 32X will only be 6% of Regen? :P

deniseweird

Post by deniseweird » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:47 pm

AamirM wrote:Hi,
What happened to Qt? Well, any GUI is still a GUI though, so I don't want to complain. But I like Qt more. And Haiku of course. My real love is Haiku.
Well, I looked at Qt as well but GTK+ is better IMO. It is easier, and provides a C interface which suited me. There are other benefits as well but I don't want to go into them.

If GTK+ works on Haiku, then it shouldn't be hard to do a haiku port. Otherwise forget about it for a loooong time :P . And I mean really long. Sorry but I have loads of other stuff going on which needs my attention. I haven't done any real emulation related things for quite a while now which really sucks. I always find myself working on these frontend related stuff more and more and these take quite a bit of my time which I could be spending for example on adding 32x or SegaCD emulation. And when I get some time to improve on emulation some real life problems get in the way. Last emulation related stuff I did was adding SMS/GG/SG1000/SC3000/SF7000(partial) to Regen. Emulation of these systems will be available in the Linux port. A Windows release is still quite far far, FAR away. In fact, the windows build is completely broken at the moment and won't even compile :D . And then there is my PC-Engine emulator which desparately needs an update (a complete rewrite in fact) and I wish to work on it more than anything. And the real sad part is that my exams are starting from Monday :( . So even less time to do this stuff.

When I was a newbie at emulation, I had all the time in the world. And now that I know a lot more and can make something good, all the time has disappeared. Life is such a bitch.

So that was a rant+update from me.

stay safe,

AamirM
I think I know the feeling about time, that's sad :( Well, there is no GTK+ for Haiku, other than the old 1.x versions. Oh well, I hope we get the source soon so someone else can port it. :3

eighty5cacao
Interested

Post by eighty5cacao » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:00 am

Sorry for the prolonged absence - I'm still rather busy in real life w/ homework.

With regard to my last post:

I have been unable to determine the cause of the couple of bugs I mentioned earlier; among other things, a video driver upgrade (as offered by the Dell Support software) didn't change anything. In case I wasn't clear enough, the second laptop (the one with Vista) is the one I am using right now. I will report back ASAP if I figure anything out, but I probably won't in the near future.

Anyway, here is the list of unlicensed games in which I have seen problems:
*Mulan (Unl) [!] - With Autofix Checksum enabled, no signs of life; with Autofix Checksum disabled, hangs after the stage intro screen right before gameplay. The corresponding [f1] and [f2] ROMs work correctly if Autofix Checksum is disabled.
*Pocket Monsters (Unl) [!] - With Autofix Checksum enabled, there are some missing or corrupted enemy sprites; with Autofix Checksum disabled, no signs of life.
*Pocket Monsters (Unl) [a1][!] - No signs of life regardless of Autofix Checksum setting. The corresponding [a1][f1] works correctly if Autofix Checksum is disabled.
*Pocket Monsters 2 (Unl) [!] - With Autofix Checksum enabled, hangs with black screen and one note of music; with Autofix Checksum disabled, hangs after selecting Start Game. The corresponding [f1] works correctly if Autofix Checksum is disabled.
*Sonic Jam 6 (Unl) [!] and Sonic Jam 6 (Unl) [p1][!] - No signs of life regardless of Autofix Checksum setting. The corresponding [f1] works correctly (regardless of Autofix Checksum setting?).

Also, in games made by Realtec (including at least Earth Defend, The (Unl) [!] and Funny World & Balloon Boy (Unl) [!], but not any corresponding cracked versions), the protection stops working correctly after the system is reset (either soft or hard).

As mentioned previously, I apologize that I cannot offer any help in emulating these games; most of these games should work in Kega Fusion, so you may wish to look there for inspiration; and I have not comprehensively tested all unlicensed games in GoodGen.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:15 pm

Hi,
*Mulan (Unl) [!] - With Autofix Checksum enabled, no signs of life; with Autofix Checksum disabled, hangs after the stage intro screen right before gameplay. The corresponding [f1] and [f2] ROMs work correctly if Autofix Checksum is disabled.
I know of a way to make this game work but not with proper emulation of protection :) . I'll have to take a look.
*Pocket Monsters (Unl) [!] - With Autofix Checksum enabled, there are some missing or corrupted enemy sprites; with Autofix Checksum disabled, no signs of life.
*Pocket Monsters (Unl) [a1][!] - No signs of life regardless of Autofix Checksum setting. The corresponding [a1][f1] works correctly if Autofix Checksum is disabled.
This game is fixed in my latest build. I remember this game expects some certain values to be returned from some addresses (I think it was 1 or 0x1F, I don't remember, I don't have Regen's source with me atm).
*Pocket Monsters 2 (Unl) [!] - With Autofix Checksum enabled, hangs with black screen and one note of music; with Autofix Checksum disabled, hangs after selecting Start Game. The corresponding [f1] works correctly if Autofix Checksum is disabled.
*Sonic Jam 6 (Unl) [!] and Sonic Jam 6 (Unl) [p1][!] - No signs of life regardless of Autofix Checksum setting. The corresponding [f1] works correctly (regardless of Autofix Checksum setting?).
The same case is with Pocket Monsters 2 as it was with Mulan. I haven't looked at them. About Sonic Jam 6, I am hearing about this game for the first time.

Thanks for these and other reports. Hopefully I will get the time to fix them ;) .

stay safe,

AamirM