Regen 0.93 Beta 4 + new Debuggers

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi,
DarkCless wrote: Hi, first of all thanks for your hard work in this excellent emulator. It quickly became my first choice in Genesis emulation and really have been enjoying it so far.
Awesome, glad to hear that.
DarkCless wrote: - In the readme it says 'only 2x filters are supported for now'
Does it mean it is possible to manually add Super2Xsai filter by putting it into the plugin folder ? If not , I'd like to kindly suggest it because I believe it makes nice graphics without taxing the system much
Yes you can do that. Same goes for others as well. Only the ones like containing something like "3x"(like hq3x) or "4x"(like hq4x) won't work right now. Also, there is a special package created by a user which contains most of the 2x plugins out there in it. The download link is given in the first page of this topic. Just look for one of the post by King of Chaos. It also includes other stuff like cheats.
DarkCless wrote: -I thought an option such as 'switch to full screen on rom load' may come handy
Done. :)

stay safe,

AamirM

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:48 pm

AamirM wrote:Regen already logs wav at the correct rates (without any resampling at 53267hz in superhq mode) if thats what you wanted.
Yes, I love that, but it would be uber-convenient to add a VGM playback feature so games without sound tests and such won't have to be "hacked again" to get the music playing by itself. Just load up up yer VGMs (via M3U playlist hopefully :D ) and away you go.

Also, some VGMs are too large to build a rom with VGM_PLAY.

DarkCless

Post by DarkCless » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:12 pm

AamirM wrote:Hi,
DarkCless wrote: Hi, first of all thanks for your hard work in this excellent emulator. It quickly became my first choice in Genesis emulation and really have been enjoying it so far.
Awesome, glad to hear that.
DarkCless wrote: - In the readme it says 'only 2x filters are supported for now'
Does it mean it is possible to manually add Super2Xsai filter by putting it into the plugin folder ? If not , I'd like to kindly suggest it because I believe it makes nice graphics without taxing the system much
Yes you can do that. Same goes for others as well. Only the ones like containing something like "3x"(like hq3x) or "4x"(like hq4x) won't work right now. Also, there is a special package created by a user which contains most of the 2x plugins out there in it. The download link is given in the first page of this topic. Just look for one of the post by King of Chaos. It also includes other stuff like cheats.
DarkCless wrote: -I thought an option such as 'switch to full screen on rom load' may come handy
Done. :)

stay safe,

AamirM
Thank you very much for the quick reply and great help.

I just downloaded the newest beta with plugins (I had been using 0.85 previously) and it's really nice. I also added filter plugins to my 0.85 and that also worked great.

However ; there has been a little issue that has been bothering me with the new version (0.93 beta 4). I noticed there's a new option called 'full screen resolution' ; and since my native video resolution is 1024x768 I set it accordingly. But I noticed it still switches to 640x480 when I press alt+enter or click on switch fullscreen button ; regardless of what full screen resolution is set from the video options. I never had such issue with 0.85 ; so I think I'll be keeping both for now

Any ideas about the situation ?

My computer is

P4 2.0 Ghz
768 Mb ram
64 Mb gfx card

and my resolution is set to 1024x768 16 bit ; on a 17'' Samsung LCD.

Thanks

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:50 pm

Hi,

Does 640x480 is on top of the list of resolutions? Also, open regen.ini in 0.93 beta 4 and see whats the value of "FullScreenResolution".

stay safe,

AamirM

P.S: Btw, how did you found out that it is setting 640x480?

DarkCless

Post by DarkCless » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi

No , it's not on the top of the resolutions list. On the top there is 320x240 and 640x480 comes after it.

I tried setting it to other resolutions such as 800x600 but it still seems tp automatically switch to 640x480 when pressed alt+enter

In the .ini file it says:

FullScreenResolution=4

I have found out the resolution by the monitor's menu btw

Thanks

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:07 pm

Hi,

Can you press Print Screen key when in fullscreen and paste it in MS Paint and see what size that is?

stay safe,

AamirM

Snake
Very interested

Post by Snake » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:59 am

AamirM wrote:Mega Turrican track 2 does actually enables the CSM mode but yeah doesn't really makes any difference.
Actually, it doesn't. It sets the register to FF - CSM is only activated when the top two bits are 10.

Snake
Very interested

Post by Snake » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:42 am

AamirM wrote:Regen already logs wav at the correct rates (without any resampling at 53267hz in superhq mode) if thats what you wanted.
Actually there's a good reason why I don't do that. There's some very agressive filtering going on in the real system, the resultant output is far lower than the clock rate. Doing this can actually make certain sounds sound completely wrong.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:14 am

Hi,
Snake wrote:Actually there's a good reason why I don't do that. There's some very agressive filtering going on in the real system, the resultant output is far lower than the clock rate. Doing this can actually make certain sounds sound completely wrong.
Yes I am aware of that and thats why there is a lowpass filtering option. But I guess there should be other options as well. Can you tell me more about it? I also wrote another filter which more or less recreates (or at least tries to) the sound you would get from TV. It also has bass and treble options. But I haven't added it yet because of some probelms. I am thinking of making sound plugins to apply other effects as well.

EDIT:
I will recheck that CSM mode soon. It maybe a problem with my core since it does reports that CSM is getting enabled. Maybe I am enabling CSM at both 10 or 11 which shouldn't be the case. Thanks for telling.

stay safe,

AamirM

DarkCless

Post by DarkCless » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:18 am

Can you press Print Screen key when in fullscreen and paste it in MS Paint and see what size that is?

stay safe,

AamirM
Yes , I did what you said ; and it came out to be that it was 1024x768 with 60hz refresh rate. I was mistaken ; sorry for the confusion. From the monitor turning black when switched to fullscreen (just like it does when switching between resolutions) I thought it was changed.

In 0.85 ; it is immediately strechted to full screen because full screen mode also seems to be in 75Hz ,which is my native desktop refresh rate ; but in 0.93 it always seem to be at 60 Hz in fullscreen.

Can it be configured through options or .ini files ?

Thanks

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:32 am

Hi,
DarkCless wrote:In 0.85 ; it is immediately strechted to full screen because full screen mode also seems to be in 75Hz ,which is my native desktop refresh rate ; but in 0.93 it always seem to be at 60 Hz in fullscreen.

0.85 didn't had real fullscreen support. It is just stretching the window and hiding the borders and titlebar. 0.93 will always default to 60hz refresh rate, if its available, because that shouldn't create problems with vsync on some computers. Right now there isn't any way to do what you want but I can add it if you want.

stay safe,

AamirM

DarkCless

Post by DarkCless » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:35 am

DarkCless wrote:In 0.85 ; it is immediately strechted to full screen because full screen mode also seems to be in 75Hz ,which is my native desktop refresh rate ; but in 0.93 it always seem to be at 60 Hz in fullscreen.

0.85 didn't had real fullscreen support. It is just stretching the window and hiding the borders and titlebar. 0.93 will always default to 60hz refresh rate, if its available, because that shouldn't create problems with vsync on some computers. Right now there isn't any way to do what you want but I can add it if you want.

stay safe,

AamirM
Ah, thanks for the clearance. It's not a big issue ; but I'd be happy to see it selectable in the future versions if possible.

Thanks a lot

Snake
Very interested

Post by Snake » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:12 pm

DarkCless wrote:Ah, thanks for the clearance. It's not a big issue ; but I'd be happy to see it selectable in the future versions if possible.
Ideally you actually want 60hz because that's the refresh rate of the real console. Anything else will look 'choppy' when it scrolls.

Now, if only TFTs would support 50 or 100hz for PAL games...

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:35 pm

using 75Hz will work quite nicely if you play things in 50Hz like I do... I don't really play on PC anyway, all serious gaming I do happens on my MD2 without savestates or any other fancy thing.
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:51 pm

Hi,
TmEE co.(TM) wrote:I don't really play on PC anyway, all serious gaming I do happens on my MD2 without savestates or any other fancy thing.
And why one would want something else ;) .

stay safe,

AamirM