Old Regen pages

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:06 pm

Did it used to happen before? Is anybody else having this issue too?

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:16 pm

Still have a problem, when "Low pass filter" is enabled. WAV dump shows this:
It seem to just "inverted" samples, or something more then that...

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:24 pm

Hi,

Ahhh.... I forgot about that. It wasn't in the bugs list too. I'll fix it ASAP.

stay safe,

AamirM

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Wed Apr 23, 2008 10:13 pm

HardWareMan wrote:Still have a problem, when "Low pass filter" is enabled. WAV dump shows this:
It seem to just "inverted" samples, or something more then that...
Inverted samples would be the same but flipped vertically. Sounds more like swapped endianness :P
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:34 am

Sik wrote:Inverted samples would be the same but flipped vertically. Sounds more like swapped endianness :P
But when inverted only sign bit.... :P

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:36 am

AamirM wrote:Well, it won't. The readme clearly says you need WinXP or higher. Although I am not sure, but this version of Regen is crashing because it uses Unicode APIs which are not supported in Win9x. I am not sure again, but I think installing MSLU (Unicode layer for Win9x, just google it) may fix this problem.
Regen worked under 98SE... and I already had MSLU installed... the error is Page Fault in module REGEN.EXE ...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:35 pm

Ok, found a new "issue".

-Sonic 2's two player mode flickers, as where Gens and Kega don't.

Also, a couple feature requests to pass along.

-VGM dumping
-1:1 pixel in interlace mode (i.e., so Sonic 2 doesn't look like it's flattened while in 2-P mode)

Some other more "out there" requests.

-Split the split screen between 2 computer monitors.
-Overclocking the CPU. Not sure why other than for speed.
-A tile editor that pops up in a new window, and you can click on the emulated screen, and it'll attempt to find that tile and allow you to edit it. Then, the ability to dump that rom.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:03 pm

King Of Chaos wrote:A tile editor that pops up in a new window, and you can click on the emulated screen, and it'll attempt to find that tile and allow you to edit it. Then, the ability to dump that rom.
How emulator can find, whence tile was loaded into VRAM? And it also can be compressed in ROM. It's possible to edit and save VRAM only (but game can easily reload some tiles while playing and replace them at all on level/menu changes).

Sik
Very interested

Post by Sik » Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:26 pm

King Of Chaos wrote:-Sonic 2's two player mode flickers, as where Gens and Kega don't.
I didn't check 0.85 yet, but as far as I know, the real hardware does flicker, showing even lines in one frame and odd lines in the next. Fusion and Gens don't emulate that properly, and it annoys me honestly.
King Of Chaos wrote:-1:1 pixel in interlace mode (i.e., so Sonic 2 doesn't look like it's flattened while in 2-P mode)
It does look flattened in the real hardware...
King Of Chaos wrote:-Split the split screen between 2 computer monitors.
OK, let's assume everybody has at least two monitors :P Not to mention that interlaced mode doesn't have to be split screen, it's just a higher resolution, also most games have split screens in non-interlaced mode, so it wouldn't work.
Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick".

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Those are outlandish requests those on the Sonic Retro forums had, so I passed them along no matter how redundant they are.

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:20 pm

Sik wrote:
King Of Chaos wrote:-Sonic 2's two player mode flickers, as where Gens and Kega don't.
I didn't check 0.85 yet, but as far as I know, the real hardware does flicker, showing even lines in one frame and odd lines in the next. Fusion and Gens don't emulate that properly, and it annoys me honestly.
King Of Chaos wrote:-1:1 pixel in interlace mode (i.e., so Sonic 2 doesn't look like it's flattened while in 2-P mode)
It does look flattened in the real hardware...
OK, let's assume everybody has at least two monitors :P Not to mention that interlaced mode doesn't have to be split screen, it's just a higher resolution, also most games have split screens in non-interlaced mode, so it wouldn't work.
You're right about the Sonic 2 flickering, it should happen in reality but on a computer moniter it just hurts eyes ! A good solution is to offer real high resolution as Fusion do.

F1ReB4LL
Interested

Post by F1ReB4LL » Thu Apr 24, 2008 6:53 pm

Thunder Force IV (Europe) -- black screen
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Europe) -- black screen

Running PAL games on a PAL TV (through the TV-Out) with VSync cause major slowdowns, NTSC games on a NTSC TV with VSync work fine, though. PAL games work fine with VSync in Fusion, other emulators also work fine in PAL with VSync (Nestopia, pSX, etc.) -- something wrong with the PAL refresh rate in Regen?

Btw, I wonder, if the mouse emulation/capture actually works for anyone? For me (and for everyone I've asked) it just shows "Mouse captured" message, but nothing happens, Windows cursor is visible (should it be hidden during the 'mouse capturing'?), games with the Mega Mouse support (listed in Wiki) ignore all the mouse movements/clicks (of course, Sega Mouse/Mouse is set on the Configure Controllers screen). There's also an issue with key mappings - F12 is set for "File/Load State As..." and "System/Capture Mouse" at the same time.

----
EDIT: Thunder Force IV (Europe) actually works, with "Autofix Checksum" option disabled -- maybe it should be disabled by default?
EDIT2: Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Europe) also works, with the region manually set to Europe -- region detecting issues?

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:52 pm

Hi,
-1:1 pixel in interlace mode (i.e., so Sonic 2 doesn't look like it's flattened while in 2-P mode)
Yes, I confirm that these things did happen on the real thing (when I had a working Genesis) so its not going to change. Its actually Gens and Kega who are not doing it right.
-Overclocking the CPU. Not sure why other than for speed.
-A tile editor that pops up in a new window, and you can click on the emulated screen, and it'll attempt to find that tile and allow you to edit it. Then, the ability to dump that rom.
Short answers according to their order; No, Maybe, seriously no. Now the long answers. About splitting the screen, well, Sik already explained very well. About overclocking, yes this is a possibility but not now. About the tile editing thing, not going to happen either. But the some good news is that there will be a tile viewer that will list tile numbers in a separate window and when a pirticular tile number is selected, it will blink that tile in the emulated screen. But there will not be tile editing support.
Stef wrote:You're right about the Sonic 2 flickering, it should happen in reality but on a computer moniter it just hurts eyes ! A good solution is to offer real high resolution as Fusion do.
In Regen, you can change the resolution of your monitor to a higher one then enter the fullscreen. Should achieve the same thing.
F1ReB4LL wrote:Running PAL games on a PAL TV (through the TV-Out) with VSync cause major slowdowns, NTSC games on a NTSC TV with VSync work fine, though. PAL games work fine with VSync in Fusion, other emulators also work fine in PAL with VSync (Nestopia, pSX, etc.) -- something wrong with the PAL refresh rate in Regen?
Its actually DirectX that should be doing this. Does Gens works fine too? (I also use the same DX API which Gens uses to wait for vertical blank). I think other emus are using some software method.
F1ReB4LL wrote:Btw, I wonder, if the mouse emulation/capture actually works for anyone? For me (and for everyone I've asked) it just shows "Mouse captured" message, but nothing happens, Windows cursor is visible (should it be hidden during the 'mouse capturing'?), games with the Mega Mouse support (listed in Wiki) ignore all the mouse movements/clicks (of course, Sega Mouse/Mouse is set on the Configure Controllers screen). There's also an issue with key mappings - F12 is set for "File/Load State As..." and "System/Capture Mouse" at the same time.
Yup, its broken. I must have broken it when I rewrote the DirectInput code to fix the controller issues. Thanks for reporting. I'll fix it ASAP.
F1ReB4LL wrote:Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Europe) also works, with the region manually set to Europe -- region detecting issues?
Yes there was. But its fixed in the 0.9 :) . But thanks again.

stay safe,

AamirM

F1ReB4LL
Interested

Post by F1ReB4LL » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:28 pm

AamirM wrote:
F1ReB4LL wrote:Running PAL games on a PAL TV (through the TV-Out) with VSync cause major slowdowns, NTSC games on a NTSC TV with VSync work fine, though. PAL games work fine with VSync in Fusion, other emulators also work fine in PAL with VSync (Nestopia, pSX, etc.) -- something wrong with the PAL refresh rate in Regen?
Its actually DirectX that should be doing this. Does Gens works fine too? (I also use the same DX API which Gens uses to wait for vertical blank). I think other emus are using some software method.
Yes, I was partially wrong. It works under certain resolutions - 640x480 or 800x600, for example, but it behaves like described above under 720x576.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Apr 29, 2008 10:38 am

Hi,

IIRC, Windows changes the refresh rate on changing the resolution, so if it sets the refresh rate that is not a multiple of 50 Hz (for PAL) the syncing will be wrong.

stay safe,

AamirM