Old Regen pages

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi,

I have uploaded two Regen beta executables (only) with which I need some testing from you guys. The common thing to test in both of them is the updated YM2612 core to make sure no game has broken sound (except Sonic 3 falling bombs at one point).

:arrow: Regen 0.93 normal
This is purely built from only the C sources. Tell me if this worked for you on your AMD processor or not. This should be quite faster (20%-60% at least) than previous 0.85 release. If not, then tell.

:arrow: Regen 0.93 parallelized (Core 2 and compatibles only)
This is built from the C sources and some hand optimized asm code (used in VDP and YM2612). This should use both the cores (unlike previously). Tell me if this worked for you on your AMD processor or not. I've tested this only on my friend's Core 2 PC. Again, I'd like to know what speed its achieveing compared to previous 0.85 and the normal build above.

One must listen closely otherwise the difference won't be noticeable in the updated FM core. Note that this is not a release but sort of a WIP :) . Also, it will have 100% compatibility (commercial games). All the known non-working games have been fixed.

stay safe,

AamirM

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:15 pm

Also, it will have 100% compatibility (commercial games). All the known non-working games have been fixed.
Ok, I gave it a quick test with timing sensitive games:

you still got graphical glitches in Kawasaki Superbike Challenge, Outrunners, Skitchin (missing clouds), Doucle Clutch (intro), Zero the Kamikaze

timing sensitive demo: PAL512.bin (doesn't know the author, it says SAMPLE PROGRAM in header) got CRAM flickering,

Ex-Mutants hangs after intro
One must listen closely otherwise the difference won't be noticeable in the updated FM core. Note that this is not a release but sort of a WIP
About YM2612, I didn't have tested many games as probably other with better ears will do it, but track05 in Bubba'n Stix sounded fine to me.
However, lemmings 2 (main menu theme) sounds really weird...

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:36 pm

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/21/ ... A-MENU.OGG
http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/21/ ... MFPLAY.BIN

For the sound to be correct, the OGG needs to sound like the 1st song in the BIN.

I'm gonna text both versions shortly, I hope my Athlon 64 X2 works fine... a fast MD emulator should run full speed on a 200MHz Pentium1 (Kgen98 coming to mind, Genecyst being able to run full speed on 133MHz machine)...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:09 pm

Hi,
Eke wrote:Ok, I gave it a quick test with timing sensitive games:

you still got graphical glitches in Kawasaki Superbike Challenge, Outrunners, Skitchin (missing clouds), Doucle Clutch (intro), Zero the Kamikaze

timing sensitive demo: PAL512.bin (doesn't know the author, it says SAMPLE PROGRAM in header) got CRAM flickering,

Ex-Mutants hangs after intro
Thanks. I'll find whats causing these problems. Although I am getting clouds in Skitchen. Ex-Mutant did worked correctly before, must be a small adjustment I made. Man, I feel too tired working on VDP again :( .
Eke wrote:About YM2612, I didn't have tested many games as probably other with better ears will do it, but track05 in Bubba'n Stix sounded fine to me.
However, lemmings 2 (main menu theme) sounds really weird...
Lemmings 2 doesn't sound weird to me at all. Is anybody else having the same feeling? Since I changed a lot of things in envelope generator and the resampler so that may be causing the problems. I'll try to find a game where the difference may be very noticeable.

About SSG-EG, I only tried to as closely match to the SSG-EG test ROM recordings by Nemesis as I could along with some games listed. It should be good I think.

@ TmEE:

I also looked at the DAC problem (GOFASTER.bin/ogg) you reported. It seems to be a sound buffering problem and not anything wrong with the core itself. I don't think any game depends on this behaviour (large amounts of data transfer to DAC very fast) to sound correct although I will try to fix it. MAME core in MESS doesn't exhibit this problem.

stay safe,

AamirM

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:03 pm

anks. I'll find whats causing these problems. Although I am getting clouds in Skitchen. Ex-Mutant did worked correctly before, must be a small adjustment I made. Man, I feel too tired working on VDP again Sad .
I understand how you feel, personnaly, I finally seems to have found the correct timings taht work with *every* game/demos but this was quite a hard job... until I found another game not working :roll:

abou Skitchin, the strange thing is that sometime it display the clouds, sometime it doesn't, very weird

I think Ex-Mutant has something related to VINT triggerring and VINT flag

re-listened to lemmings 2 and compared with Kega and it was ok, I was probably not really awake the first time ;-)

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:48 am

Regarding Ex Mutants, this game hangs on some clones MD2. It stops at the first level, where man at the background indicates the way by hand, music plays and the hero disappears.

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:31 am

same thing s happens with emulators...

probably because VDP clones timings aren't 100% like the original VDP:
the game indeed needs some latency between VINT flag being set in VDP status and INT6 being triggered

notaz
Very interested

Post by notaz » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:14 am

AamirM wrote:Also, it will have 100% compatibility (commercial games).
Isn't that claim a bit arrogant, uh? I see it for a while now in your readmes. Even if those recently mentioned games really worked, do you really think all commercial games would work from start to completion, in all game modes without a tiny glitch somewhere?

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:56 am

Hi,
Eke wrote:I think Ex-Mutant has something related to VINT triggerring and VINT flag
It was related to a slight adjustment I made when I run 68k. Overclock M68000 (from Tools menu) from 488 cycles per line to 489 cycles per line and it'll work :) . I don't exactly remember why I did that change but I guess I should undo that.
notaz wrote:Isn't that claim a bit arrogant, uh?
I offer my apologies for my shameless bragging if it felt arrogant to anyone.
notaz wrote:I see it for a while now in your readmes
I only said it may be 100%, I never claimed guarenteed 100%. And I only said that in just 0.85 release. Never before in any readme.
notaz wrote:Even if those recently mentioned games really worked, do you really think all commercial games would work from start to completion, in all game modes without a tiny glitch somewhere?
I never claimed 100% accuracy (probably never will). I never claimed that there won't be any glitches in games.

stay safe,

AamirM

Zoomer
Interested

Post by Zoomer » Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:40 pm

Wow, AamirM, huge progress! :D Comix Zone and Top Gear 2 sounds like on a real hardware for me now (tested and compared, hehe). Two cores of my C2D also working together. Nice :) Ah, and possibility to overclock! It's really great, thank you. But, i think, you should add button to reset timings back to default.
And that annoying problem with sound still presists. Sound "hicups" every 2-5 minutes. :( Maybe something wrong with vista or creative drivers for vista, i dunno. Can you research this please?

Nice job anyway, keep goin'! :D

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:56 am

Zoomer wrote:Sound "hicups" every 2-5 minutes. :(
Known issue, and Aamir thinks he finally fixed it. It used to happen to me every 60 seconds, but Aamir posted a test build on the ZSNES forums to see if it fixed it, and it seemingly has for me.

Try this and see if the issue still occurs. :)

Also can somebody test the music and sounds of Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles and Sonic 3 And Knuckles, to test if some of the music, especially the Super Sonic music sounds a little echoed to you, than the real hardware/Kega. :) Some of the music, especially the Super Sonic music sounds off to me (or sounding echoed or sounding like in a tunnel).

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:57 am

Compare how sounds old Windows Version (for Pentium3 and Athlons) and new Regen 0.93 normal. And listen Windows Version (for Pentium4 and up). I done some records, it is Comix Zone, Track 05: Regen 0.93 normal, Windows Version (for Pentium3 and Athlons) and Windows Version (for Pentium4 and up). How can it be? If you will listen this records, you will understand, what I'm talking about.
And C2D version even not starts on my P4D925, or it don't have to?

Zoomer
Interested

Post by Zoomer » Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:34 pm

King Of Chaos, yup, I found that version a bit earlier on that forum (looking for zsnes boards too :) ) and yes - no more glitches with sound. Thanks =)

HardWareMan, AamirM slightly changed YM2612 core again in 0.93. Your 0.93 record sounds like old 0.85. Check SuperHQ. Is it enabled or not? 0.93 Core2Duo version with SuperHQ enabled sample record. Same game, same track.

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:41 pm

Zoomer wrote:HardWareMan, AamirM slightly changed YM2612 core again in 0.93. Your 0.93 record sounds like old 0.85. Check SuperHQ. Is it enabled or not? 0.93 Core2Duo version with SuperHQ enabled sample record. Same game, same track.
So, I switch on the SuperHQ option, and it got worse than was! "Regen 0.93 SuperHQ on" Sounds like your sample but it is not correct. Regen 0.85 with SuperHQ sounds more closer to hardware.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:54 pm

Hi,

@ HardWareMan:
I'll be listening to the recordings shortly. Rapidshare is not letting me download the files :) . I'll have to wait a bit.

@ Zoomer:
Glad to hear it works good for you :) .

EDIT:
Just heard it. Ok here is why each is different.

01_-_Regen_093.mp3 -- SuperHQ off, produces the GEMS bug but with slightly lower level
02_-_Regen_085_P3.mp3 -- SuperHQ off, produces the GEMS bug
03_-_Regen_085_P4.mp3 -- SuperHQ on, fixes GEMS bug with a hack
Regen_093_HQ.mp3 = Comix_Zone__U______Regen_0.93_c2.mp3 -- SuperHQ on, fixes GEMS bug as described by Nemesis. Its more closer to hardware (compare with Kega for example).

Remember, GEMS bug is only fixed if SuperHQ is on.

stay safe,

AamirM