Old Regen pages

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:57 am

Hi,

Actually you can use MAME's powerful debugger using HazeMD(another genesis emu based on MAME). But anyways, I will fix it and enable it in next release.

sty safe,

AamirM

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:03 pm

AamirM wrote:Hi,

Please note that my emulator was not the first to emulate it. PicoDrive was the first. Look here.

stay safe,

AamirM[/url]
I wasn't aware of that :shock: Shames on me !
Anyway, still impressive.
Are you doing HLE for the SVP ? or it is pur and rude low level one ?

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:45 pm

No, this is a true DSP (SSP1601) core (apparently still incomplete but enough to emulate Virtua Racing pretty good)

It executes DSP instructions (originally present in Virtua Racing's ROM) to render "3D polygons" in internal DRAM ($300000-$31ffff) which are then copied to VRAM by VDP DMA.

You should have a look to the source code and why not integrate this in Gens for a reborn version ;)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:40 pm

Eke wrote:No, this is a true DSP (SSP1601) core (apparently still incomplete but enough to emulate Virtua Racing pretty good)

It executes DSP instructions (originally present in Virtua Racing's ROM) to render "3D polygons" in internal DRAM ($300000-$31ffff) which are then copied to VRAM by VDP DMA.

You should have a look to the source code and why not integrate this in Gens for a reborn version ;)
I saw that by checking the Picodrive site.
I think i'll have a look on the source code to understand how this is possible, i though the SVP couldn't be dumped ;)

notaz
Very interested

Post by notaz » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:12 am

Stef wrote: I think i'll have a look on the source code to understand how this is possible, i though the SVP couldn't be dumped ;)
It's simple - SVP uses the first 128K of game ROM for it's code, so there was no need to dump anything :)

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:51 pm

notaz wrote:
Stef wrote: I think i'll have a look on the source code to understand how this is possible, i though the SVP couldn't be dumped ;)
It's simple - SVP uses the first 128K of game ROM for it's code, so there was no need to dump anything :)
ok, so the chip on the SVP board is a simple DSP without any internal rom :o
Anyway i'm amazed by the amount of data transfered at each frame to the VDP ram ! the game use some blank lines to optimize the DMA rate, anyway it's still impressive !

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:45 pm

Shiru wrote:
AamirM wrote:I think nobody needs it(and it was buggy too :lol: ). I will remove it in the next release.
There is many people who almost crying without good SMD debugger. Romhackers, fan translators, and homebrew developers too.
Well some good news. The version 0.4 will have the debugger enabled :D . It will be released in a day or two. Also the compatibilty will be higher than the current version.

@Stef

Are you Stéphane Dallongeville? I have been a big fan of yours :D .

stay safe,

AamirM

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:48 pm

The Stef here is the author of Gens.

BTW, I figured out the reason why your emu is so slow on my old machine : the window is 7pixels too high, so its 320x 247, and my PCs GFX card can't do any stretching so it bogged down... when I manually made the window 7 pixels shorter, it worked like a charm. And You may want to add true full screen support (switch to 320x240 or some other res than just stretching the screen to fit desktop).

Great work man, and I'm also waiting for the debugger :)
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:52 pm

I prefer 640x480 full screen, that way interlaced mode has the advantage of being seen properly, like how it is in Fusion.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:28 am

Hi,

Uploaded the new 0.4 version. Download link is in the first post.
The list of changes is also there.

stay safe and enjoy,

AamirM

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:45 am

* Changed Musashi's interrupt handling. This fixes Lemmings status bar.
* Fatal Rewind lockup fixed.
* Double Dragon 2 lockup fixed.
lol, seems to be the same good old issues with every new emulator :)

do you plan adding serial eeprom emulation ? I have a document written somewhere if you want, or you can check in my code

keep up the good work ;)

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:57 am

Eke wrote:
* Changed Musashi's interrupt handling. This fixes Lemmings status bar.
* Fatal Rewind lockup fixed.
* Double Dragon 2 lockup fixed.
lol, seems to be the same good old issues with every new emulator :)

do you plan adding serial eeprom emulation ? I have a document written somewhere if you want, or you can check in my code

keep up the good work ;)
Thanks. Yes I am planning it to add it soon. I also have your doc and code of the eeprom. That will be a big help. Thanks again.

stay safe,

AamirM

P.S. I didn't knew so many games used eeprom.

rodolforg
Interested

Post by rodolforg » Sun Feb 24, 2008 4:07 pm

Hi, AamirM =]
I'm waiting for your linux version ;) Plz!

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:11 pm

Hi,

Just made a quick update. I forgot to uncomment a line of code which broke some games. Links in the first post as always.

@ rodolforg

I'll be uploading it soon :wink: .

stay safe,

AamirM

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:47 am

thanks. Yes I am planning it to add it soon. I also have your doc and code of the eeprom. That will be a big help. Thanks again.
you're welcome... by the way, if you get inspirated by the modified genesis plus code I wrote to fix compatibility issues, I would appreciate to be credited, it took me lot of time to figure some sensitive stuffs that wasn't still properly emulated before or not documented by emu authors :oops:

* Dino Dini Soccer runs perfectly now. Even more accurate than Kega Fusion and Gens!
just curious, what is wrong with this game in Gens ?

also, will this project stay closed source ? I'm always curious to see how different people manage to solve the same problems.