Old Regen pages

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:20 pm

Hi,
HardWareMan wrote:@AamirM: Well, when we get the next release?
Official release is not very near right now. But I'll upload another beta for testing probably tommorrow.

stay safe,

AamirM

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:41 pm

Is the official release going to be v1.00 finally? :P

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:03 pm

Hi,

Nah, it'll still be 0.93 :) .

BTW, Since DAC is now correct, I compared TmEE's posted sound program with Kega, Regen and the real recording. I think Kega sounds a bit thinner in FM, no?

stay safe,

AamirM

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:15 pm

Hi,

Okay, the beta is ready for testing. This mainly includes the sound fixes including the fixes to PSG (which is now more accurate) and cycle accurate sample support which makes sound very accurate and clean (and handles fast DAC writes efficiently :wink: ). Another thing which is included is ROM/RAM switching which fixes SRAM issues in Sonic 3 and Knuckles.

Download from here. It includes all the minimal things needed to run. Changelog is in there as well.

stay safe,

AamirM

tomaitheous
Very interested

Post by tomaitheous » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:16 pm

@AamirM: Any chance you're going to improve the debugger soon?

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:58 pm

Ok, done some testing comparing to Kega, my ears and my memory on a couple things.

1) TmEE's music player ROM sounds perfectly (love the Symphony Of Destruction cover BTW).

2) Robocop Vs. The Terminator - Still has sound FX off by a bit. Using the flame thrower in game as a comparison, it sounds too high pitched compared to Kega and what I remember from the real hardware.

3) Spider-Man Vs. The Kingpin - Sounds good except that high pitched noise during the warehouse level (that happens at random). Personally, I'd like to know what exactly this noise is and what it's for.

4) Sonic 3 & Knuckles - SRAM works fine for it now, and some of the sounds seem a little better. The Super Sonic theme for example still sounds slightly echoed, and the special stage music sounds sightly different. In the sound test sound 22 and sound 24 (Desert Palace and Endless Mine) sound way off from the real hardware and Kega. Oh yes, the issue with the sound of the plane with the falling bombs is still there, just in case anyone wondered. :P

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:25 pm

strange, I got it working once but now Regen is taking 100% CPU and won't start any game :-(

about the sound issue in Sonic 3, i remember getting something similar before (not at the same place though): it was related to Z80 interrupt, the interrupt period is 16ms (each frame) and the duration should be 64 us (one full line)

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:30 pm

Eke wrote:strange, I got it working once but now Regen is taking 100% CPU and won't start any game :-(
I'd try deleting the config file and start anew. If needed, I can create and upload a RAR version of the latest beta with the needed stuff to run it. Also Aamir, take a look at this topic if you get a chance, as you might find it interesting. ;)

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:03 pm

Hi,
Eke wrote:strange, I got it working once but now Regen is taking 100% CPU and won't start any game :-(

about the sound issue in Sonic 3, i remember getting something similar before (not at the same place though): it was related to Z80 interrupt, the interrupt period is 16ms (each frame) and the duration should be 64 us (one full line)
Setting to high priority? Did you got this same executable working once? Deleting the config file is probably a good idea.

And I have Z80 interrupts just like you describe. Though I may have missed something.
tomaitheous wrote:@AamirM: Any chance you're going to improve the debugger soon?
Yes :) . But after the 0.93 release. I'll be adding GensTracer (which HardWareMan posted on here) features.

@ King of Chaos:

Thanks for testing. I'll see whats the problem with those games.

stay safe,

AamirM

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:51 pm

PCM is correct now :D

PSG seems a bit off compared to FM, higher pitch (don't know how much).
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

tomaitheous
Very interested

Post by tomaitheous » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:15 am

Yes Smile . But after the 0.93 release. I'll be adding GensTracer (which HardWareMan posted on here) features.
A logger is cool, but it doesn't compare to using a real debugger.

Stuff like:

-break on reads
-break on writes
-break on PC address (via value input and/or manually marking)
-break on vram read/writes
-break on opcode (no need for the operand part)
-run until break (of course)
-memory viewer (in words or bytes for *all* memory including vram, cram, and z80 stuff)
-the ability to edit values in the memory viewer
-break on register read/write
-scrollable disassemble window (arrow and page up/down keys) and allow to input address to jump to
-putting the mouse pointer over a tile/sprite in the viewer would show the vram address
-being able to export and import data into the memory viewer (guess that would make it a editor :D )
-editable registers including both cpus, their flags, VDP, PSG, and 2612.
-show current scanline
-show current timer states/clock for 2612
-show current master clock

:)

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:56 am

Something like this?
:D

tomaitheous
Very interested

Post by tomaitheous » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:22 am

Holy crap!

Hmm... Nemesis....Nemesis. Wait, that sounds familiar. Didn't you post a while back about creating a genesis emulator with a decent/real debugger in another forum? And another discussion with byuu or RedComet by chance?

Two things: When will it be available and do you have a donation system setup? :D

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:40 am

Yep, I had a chat with byuu about it a year or so back IIRC. I've been working on it pretty steadily since December 2006 actually. It's not ready yet. I don't think it'll be ready this year, but I'm hoping early next year. I'll let everyone know when it's getting close. If you want a debugger, watch this space.... oh, and I hope you have a fast computer. Like, really fast. :)

Don't worry about donations. I'm not short on cash, just short on time.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:48 am

....and now I feel like I'm derailing Aamir's thread. Sorry. When someone mentiones debugging, I just can't help but talk about it. I still get a stupid ass grin on my face every time I use a breakpoint. :lol: