Old Regen pages

AamirM's Regen forum

Moderator: AamirM

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:58 pm

TascoDLX wrote:And perhaps if there was a system that allowed patching on the Sega CD, both MAIN and SUB side?
Well, you *can* create PAR codes for some Sega CD games, Sonic CD for example...

FF1508:0009 Infinite Lives
FF1516:0000 Infinite Time
FF151F:0001 Invincibility
FF1589:0001 Enable Debug Mode
FF0F20:7F00 Have 1 Time Stone
FF0F20:0101 Have 2 Time Stones
FF0F20:0302 Have 3 Time Stones
FF0F20:0703 Have 4 Time Stones
FF0F20:0F04 Have 5 Time Stones
FF0F20:1F05 Have 6 Time Stones
FF0F20:7F00 Have All 7 Time Stones/Good Futures
FF1513:0001 Always Have 1 Ring
FF1513:0032 Always Have 50 Rings
FF1513:0064 Always Have 100 Rings
FF151E:0001 Always Have Shield
*NOTE* It may look like the code isn't working, but the shield is there. Just get hit.

But I get what you mean. =P I could actually make word patches as well, may do that someday when bored.
TmEE co.(TM) wrote:Real PAR can write to RAM... AFAIK. I made some PAR code's for Duke3D, which locations are in RAM and one friend of mine reported they work on real HW with real PAR.
As should any codes created in Kega. For Gens, you have to swap the endian order and modify the address forwards or backwards by one (or more).

Captain Boomerang
Interested

Post by Captain Boomerang » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi,
AamirM wrote:
Captain Boomerang wrote:A couple more things, I'd like to make a couple requests to enhance the system lockup emulation to silently lockup without the dialog box. I suggest something like "LockupDialog" to disable it on and off.
Already done. See the regen.ini file. There is also an option to disable lockups but if they are enabled then emulator will show a message instead of a dialog box.
I didn't notice that, thanks!
AamirM wrote:
Captain Boomerang wrote:My last requests is for you to create font files using the font Kega uses.
I'll be adding an option in the next version so you can select any Windows font you have and convert it into the font file that Regen can use.
Will this also include size and color as well?
AamirM wrote:
Captain Boomerang wrote:My next request is that you add to the messages for the loading and unloading of cheats and things like that. My last request is to make sure multiple messages can be on the screen at the same time like Kega does.
You'll see that in the next version.
Thanks!
AamirM wrote:
Captain Boomerang wrote:The way to remedy this is to borrow the "LastGenesisROM" INI function from Kega Fusion's configuration.
If you notice, there is no difference between the LastGenesisROM and FileHistory0 entry in Kega's config file. So in Regen I set the directory to there.
That'll do it, thanks for clearing that up mate. :)
AamirM wrote:
Captain Boomerang wrote:P.S. I wish to input my vote to have Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy supported. You can probably do this with a switch in the INI settings just for that game.
Sorry, but this will not happen :(. This game is doing things that are not possible on a real genesis. Although the use of a switch in config file is a good idea but then I'll have to add many checks in the memory handlers which will slow down the emulator. Sorry again.
It's alright. I just was curious about the game, that's all.
AamirM wrote:Thanks for all your suggestions and feedback.
Thanks for listening to them and making the best Sega Genesis emulator ever mate!!
King Of Chaos wrote:I'm actually curious on which font it does use, since it looks all hawt and stuff. =P
Hehe, me too mate. Would anyone know?

Thanks a great deal!

-Adam

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:22 am

Hi,
Captain Boomerang wrote:Will this also include size and color as well?
Yes, there will be an option to select the size as well. The option of selecting color is already there although is ugly. See the readme. I hope to add a dialog as well in the next version to select the color.
TascoDLX wrote:Remember, if a word read occurs on RAM and a byte is patched there (check address & 0xFFFFFE), you must return half of the current word combined with the patched half. Make sure you patch the correct half.
I tried doing this too but it didn't work. It maybe happening because I was doing something wrong (which I often do). I'll try again. Thanks fo help.
HardWareMan wrote:Just plain solid space from $000000 to $9FFFFF.
I could easily support this game using the code used to support unlicensed games if it just used 68k for accessing that address space. But it also uses z80 banking to access that. AFAIK, all the unlicensed games use 68k for protection and/or special bank switching. That is why that code only monitors the 68k addresses.

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 12:02 pm

AamirM wrote:
HardWareMan wrote:Just plain solid space from $000000 to $9FFFFF.
I could easily support this game using the code used to support unlicensed games if it just used 68k for accessing that address space. But it also uses z80 banking to access that. AFAIK, all the unlicensed games use 68k for protection and/or special bank switching. That is why that code only monitors the 68k addresses.
On real console that MK hack will not run because areas $800000-$9FFFFF will not generate the !DTACK signal and M68K simple hangs. Read this topic: http://www.spritesmind.net/_GenDev//for ... c&start=18

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:07 pm

Hi,
On real console that MK hack will not run
Thats is why it is not supported.

Anyways, did somebody find any broken game(s) with the 0.8 beta?

stay safe,

AamirM

Captain Boomerang
Interested

Post by Captain Boomerang » Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:48 pm

Hi,

I just tried to load .SRM and savestates from Kega into Regen, and they don't work. I also found that when you disable turbo mode quickly after enabling it no message appears saying so. Just turn it on and off several times quickly and you'll see what I mean.

With Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy couldn't you release a one off version of Regen that only supports that one hack like Gens has? Would be fun to play. I don't really care about this game, but still it'd be fun.

I have some suggestions I'd like to pass along if that's alright. Many of them are absurd and unrealistic and not based in reality, so feel free to have a laugh from them and disregard them if they're too stupid.

1. Any chance of adding netplay like Kega's in the future? I want to kick some butt hehehe.

2. The function of using up+down and left+right, just to see how it's like in some games. It would be VERY useful for some things. Would be a good INI setting too.

3. Is it possible to support the Pico's tablet?

4. Emulate the Sega VR. Disassembling the Sega VR tester should be enough to support this.

5. Loading a game on top of an already running game. Useful to load Sonic 3 on top of Sonic 2 and soft resetting for the level select to be enabled.

6. To be able to remove the cartridge while the game is running to simulate the actual hardware when this happens to kick a cartridge while it's running. Can be used for UMK3's debug screen and Sonic 3D Blast's level select.

7. Snes emulation. Just use bsneses cores or something. Every Genesis developer is asked this at least once hehehe.

8. Zsneses ability to make toast for you if you have the toaster hooked up to your computer. Would be a good easter egg. Ok, maybe not hahaha.

I haven't found any broken games, if I do I'll tell you mate!

Thanks for your time!

-Adam

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:14 pm

Hi,
Captain Boomerang wrote:I just tried to load .SRM and savestates from Kega into Regen, and they don't work. I also found that when you disable turbo mode quickly after enabling it no message appears saying so. Just turn it on and off several times quickly and you'll see what I mean.
Yes, these are known limitations and are being worked on. Savestates should load though, but I will look into that problem. It seems Kega saves more things in the state files.
Captain Boomerang wrote:With Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy couldn't you release a one off version of Regen that only supports that one hack like Gens has?
Nope, just too much work. Maybe on a later version but not anytime soon.
Captain Boomerang wrote:Any chance of adding netplay like Kega's in the future? I want to kick some butt hehehe.
Yes, there was in previous Regen version but it is disabled because of being too buggy. I'll ask Steve Snake if he could share the details of netplay feature in Kega so that users using Kega or Regen can play together.
Captain Boomerang wrote:The function of using up+down and left+right, just to see how it's like in some games. It would be VERY useful for some things. Would be a good INI setting too.
Could you please elaborate more on this? How it will be useful?
Captain Boomerang wrote:Is it possible to support the Pico's tablet?
What is this? I don't know anything about it.
Captain Boomerang wrote:Emulate the Sega VR. Disassembling the Sega VR tester should be enough to support this.
By VR, do you mean Virtua Racing? Because that is already supported (thanks to notaz and TascoDLX).
Captain Boomerang wrote:Loading a game on top of an already running game. Useful to load Sonic 3 on top of Sonic 2 and soft resetting for the level select to be enabled.

6. To be able to remove the cartridge while the game is running to simulate the actual hardware when this happens to kick a cartridge while it's running. Can be used for UMK3's debug screen and Sonic 3D Blast's level select.
Is it possible on a real Genesis? Because if it is then I'll add it. I do know that Sonic and Knuckles had this featue.
Captain Boomerang wrote:Snes emulation. Just use bsneses cores or something. Every Genesis developer is asked this at least once hehehe.
Well, I cannot use bsnes (license). And I write emulators for systems where I think a better emulator can be written (at least I try to write a better one). And I do think a better SNES emulator can be written. An emulator with features of SNESGT and speed like ZSNES and accuracy of bsnes and support of wide range of special chips like SNES9x and support for the two unemulated Shougi games and the special Super Gameboy cartridge would be very cool I think (hint hint).
Captain Boomerang wrote:Zsneses ability to make toast for you if you have the toaster hooked up to your computer. Would be a good easter egg. Ok, maybe not hahaha.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for you feedback.

stay safe,

AamirM

TulioAdriano
Very interested

Post by TulioAdriano » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:01 pm

AamirM wrote:
Captain Boomerang wrote:Emulate the Sega VR. Disassembling the Sega VR tester should be enough to support this.
By VR, do you mean Virtua Racing? Because that is already supported (thanks to notaz and TascoDLX).

stay safe,

AamirM
At some point in history there was an anouncement of a VirtualBoy-like device for MD called Sega VR. I remember I went crazy when I saw that on the magazine... but I believe it never left the prototype stage and probably there are not technical information about it available....

Seeya.

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Captain Boomerang wrote:The function of using up+down and left+right, just to see how it's like in some games. It would be VERY useful for some things. Would be a good INI setting too.
AamirM wrote:Could you please elaborate more on this? How it will be useful?
I'm in favor of this myself. I know a couple games and technical demos where this could be useful.
Captain Boomerang wrote:
AamirM wrote:Is it possible to support the Pico's tablet?
What is this? I don't know anything about it.
The Sega Pico (which is basically a Genesis with a tablet) was a system for kids actually. Nobody knows anything about the tablet hardware, but the games should emulate perfectly since they're Genny games. A little information can be found here.
Captain Boomerang wrote:
AamirM wrote:Emulate the Sega VR. Disassembling the Sega VR tester should be enough to support this.
The virtual reality headset that never went past the development stage. Disassembling the Sega VR tester ROM would work? Hmmmm, might have to look into this myself.
Captain Boomerang wrote:
AamirM wrote:Loading a game on top of an already running game. Useful to load Sonic 3 on top of Sonic 2 and soft resetting for the level select to be enabled.

Is it possible on a real Genesis? Because if it is then I'll add it. I do know that Sonic and Knuckles had this featue.
Yes. You can pull a cart out while it's running. I used to do this for Sonic 3 to enable the level select through Sonic 2. Here's how it works:

1) Put Sonic 2 in and start it up and do the level select code for it.

2) At the level select screen pull out Sonic 2 while it's running and put in Sonic 3's cart.

3) Perform a soft reset.

4) Sonic 3 loads normally with the normally hard to achieve sound test enabled on the main screen. Can also be used to barely pull a cart out while it's running to allow certain things to happen (as mentioned above, Sonic 3D Blast's level select).
Captain Boomerang wrote:
AamirM wrote:Snes emulation. Just use bsneses cores or something. Every Genesis developer is asked this at least once hehehe.
Well, I cannot use bsnes (license). And I write emulators for systems where I think a better emulator can be written (at least I try to write a better one). And I do think a better SNES emulator can be written. An emulator with features of SNESGT and speed like ZSNES and accuracy of bsnes and support of wide range of special chips like SNES9x and support for the two unemulated Shougi games and the special Super Gameboy cartridge would be very cool I think (hint hint).
:lol: Wow, this made me giggle.
Captain Boomerang wrote:
AamirM wrote:Zsneses ability to make toast for you if you have the toaster hooked up to your computer. Would be a good easter egg. Ok, maybe not hahaha.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OMG!!! :lol: This made me LOL a lot. :lol: Thanks for the laughs.

Captain Boomerang
Interested

Post by Captain Boomerang » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:45 pm

AamirM wrote:
Could you please elaborate more on this? How it will be useful?
It's useful when making games, to check if the code that deals when both are pressed works. The only way to know is actually triggering this situation, hence why I suggest it.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:57 pm

Hi,

Ok, I will add it in new version through a switch in the ini file.

stay safe,

AamirM

TulioAdriano
Very interested

Post by TulioAdriano » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:09 pm

King Of Chaos wrote:
Captain Boomerang wrote:
AamirM wrote:Loading a game on top of an already running game. Useful to load Sonic 3 on top of Sonic 2 and soft resetting for the level select to be enabled.

Yes. You can pull a cart out while it's running. I used to do this for Sonic 3 to enable the level select through Sonic 2. Here's how it works:

1) Put Sonic 2 in and start it up and do the level select code for it.

2) At the level select screen pull out Sonic 2 while it's running and put in Sonic 3's cart.

3) Perform a soft reset.

4) Sonic 3 loads normally with the normally hard to achieve sound test enabled on the main screen. Can also be used to barely pull a cart out while it's running to allow certain things to happen (as mentioned above, Sonic 3D Blast's level select).
Yeah like he said... the way Captain Boomerang explained was not very clear... Loading on top doesn't mean like the S&K Connection.

I did that a lot on my MD, to get the most bizarre cheat codes, like put a game, turn system on, remove the cart, plug another cart and soft reset... That way the Memory is still "Dirty" and the HV counters are not reset...

I was ULTRA glad when I discovered the trick for Sonic 2 and Sonic 3, way before the cheat codes came on magazines... And I could listen to the songs for Sonic & Knuckles even before the game was released, hahaha. I also remember doing some of that with some game and TazMania... I think it was Monaco GP II and TazMania to enable debug mode... :P

Most people would not remove the cartridges with the console running because they feared to damage the console. But AamirM, if you want to truely emulate what the console behaviour is, you should enable that functionality for US and European games and not for Japanese since the Japanese MD had the mechanic lock on the cartridge when you turn the console on! :D

On a quick note about the UP+Down at same time...

My SMS pad allows pressing the 4 directions at once... on California Games, Half Pipe, that would speed up the skateboard without any trouble of timing... :)

I've never been able to check that on California Games for MD since the pad has the center thingy that doesnt allow pushing 4 directions at the same time...

Seeya
Last edited by TulioAdriano on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Zoomer
Interested

Post by Zoomer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:13 pm

Hi, AamirM. First of all big thanks for your hard work :)
It's very interesting to see how young emulator is developing.

I'm didnt find games wich didnt working with emu (i'll continue to search).
I want to suggest you one important (for me, hehe) feature:
Your emulator can work with 7zip archives, this is great! But I can't select, wich rom to load from this archive. Can you please make some window of selection? I've already seen such function in some nes emulator. Nestopia if I remember right.

Also i've found that one sound effect sounds (hehe) weird in Comix Zone (Comix Zone (U) [!]). It is when Strigils (water ninjas :) ) jumping out from the water.
Emu working slower than kega or gens family, i'm runing it on vista x64. Sorry me if it's okay now. When I close emulator with loaded game it crashes.
What else... Ah and the "SuperHQ" option always disables after restart of emulator.

Thank you again for emu :)

King Of Chaos
Very interested

Post by King Of Chaos » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:02 pm

I'll check the Comix Zone issue in a bit. SuperHQ stays enabled for me, it could be a Vista thing (with UAC enabled). Open up regen.ini and set SuperHQ to =1. :) You can read why Regen is slower than other emulators in the readme file. :)

Screenshot and information about the crash when it happens? What does it say?

Zoomer
Interested

Post by Zoomer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:51 pm

Ah, the UAC... Yea, when ReGen crashed for the first time, I've tried some compatibility options (Run as Administrator and in compatibility with Windows xp sp2). But it continued to crash and I forgot to disable these options. :) Looks like emu cant save settings to ini when it runing from Admin... Disabled it and it saves fine now.
About crash:
I'm loading rom then closing emu (dont matter if i'm using close window button or File->Exit). Standard window with info about crash opens (in xp it offers to send report to Microsoft blahblah). Ofc I can post screenshot but it dont say much.
I think this information from system journal about crash cant help too, but in case:

Code: Select all

Problem Event Name:	APPCRASH
Application Name:	Regen.exe
Application Version:	0.8.0.0
Application Timestamp:	47f64cf8
Fault Module Name:	StackHash_326f
Fault Module Version:	6.0.6001.18000
Fault Module Timestamp:	4791a783
Exception Code:	c0000374
Exception Offset:	000aada3
OS Version:	6.0.6001.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID:	1049
Additional Information 1:	326f
Additional Information 2:	664c17c635849a104700d5f76b3a15bc
Additional Information 3:	935a
Additional Information 4:	950406333e8634c26beb056a61300598
Especially those "Additional Information" values looks very useful :)

About speed:
I've read Readme file... To the end this time :) Understood. :wink: