Go OOPL

Talk about anything else you want

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

koilazka
Interested

Go OOPL

Post by koilazka » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:17 pm

Err yeah, i found on youtube this video about a new programming language, a sub team of googles been working on.

Its called "Go", they want it for system programming, they said they wanted it to be more flexible and fun to use. Its really fast at compiling code.. I guess its cool that googles making a programming language :/

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKnDgT73v8s (old video, 1 hour long :()

I kept watching the video, when i saw the syntax, i was dissapointed, it was epic fail to me. Everything looks messy and logically backwards. I dont want to try it, thats just me though.

Most logic is like C/Java

Code: Select all

if x > 0
{
	return true;
}
This is how you declare/define arrays

Code: Select all

[32]byte
[2*N] struct { x, y int32 }
[1000]*float64
[3][5]int
[2][2][2]float64  // same as [2]([2]([2]float64))
Most variables, the data type is in front :[

I havnt reviewed it much yet, but everything i see, puts me off.
I dont know if you can make instances of arrays yet, for inheritance.
I couldnt find anything about passing variables to functions, i know in c++ this can get messy with arrays.

What do you people think?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:31 pm

Look at the tutorial page for a better idea of how regular go code looks.

http://golang.org/doc/go_tutorial.html

It seems like a Frankenstein's mess of C++, BASIC, and Pascal. I wouldn't touch it with a 10' pole. :lol:

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:23 am

No, thanks.

dtech
Interested

Post by dtech » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:43 pm

It's likely to be meant to be something to continue on, for those who have mastered more classic language called BrainFuck (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck)

At least they've got adequate mascot. Reminds me of a pigmy shrew (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/699) from now a classic flash animation. Quite an opposite to what freepascal has :)

But c'mon - google is trying to conquer the world with awkward stuff and extreme eula-s (like 'we will scan contents of your email and may store and relate your network searches to your person' and similar stuff), but this language is a miserable attempt.

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:35 am

But the popularity of this language is rising considerably (though has slowed down somewhat). For example, it was programming language of the year in 2009 on TIOBE index due to its rise.

But yeah, looks rather clumsy. I don't understand the need for people to invent any more programming languages.

mic_
Very interested

Post by mic_ » Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:57 am

That TIOBE index looks highly suspicious. They're claiming that some ML dialect called Alice is more popular than both Verilog and VHDL.. seriously? If that's really the case then I'd say that they put way too much emphasis on languages that are taught to CS students at universities, instead of what people actually use in the real world.

I mean, I had to learn Ada and Scheme when I was a student. Doesn't mean I'd actually use them for anything now.

As far as Go is concerned, I don't have any problem with them developing their own programming language and releasing it to the public. I personally don't have any use for it, but maybe someone else does.
And as shady as Google can be sometimes, at least they decided to center Android development around Java, unlike Apple who decided that Objective-C was a good idea because so many people use it outside of OSX/iPhone OS development.. :roll:

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:15 am

Yeah, I thought that exactly. Maybe more people know about or heard of ML/Alice etc.. than Verilog and VHDL?

Anyways.. C > * . :D (except assembly perhaps).

dtech
Interested

Post by dtech » Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:47 pm

Well those indexes, surveys and prognose/statistics charts are more used to control things rather to show. Never believe them. It pure crap in relation to anything.

That's quite much like 'average' measurement in anything. You know that if hostpital will have for every five patients temperatures: one in room temperature (22°C), three with 42°C (soon to be dead, too), and one cooling down 35°C (bye bye), then the average hospital inhabitant temeprature would be 36.6°C - perfectly normal :)

And all those new trends 'discovered' by charts are actually trying to push those trends. When intel entered graphics chips market, it was 'a world leader in graphics chips' (i still remember that crap), as well as when intel unsuccessfuly entered (with their pervert concepts) a DSP market, they were world leaders, too, although nobody used them and they were a total failure with segment boundaries and 6x performance drop if accidentaly program loop passes over a segment boundary (64k or something) or data spans over a segment etc.

Apple uses such stuff quite frequently, too.

They just proclaim 'over a million ipods are already sold - it's an international hit', while only a few are sold, but millions are sold to middle dealer warehouses from the factories, not from stores to actual customers. Yet people catch it up as it's something realy popular and think that everybody else has and fears to fall behind.

gerakliuss

Post by gerakliuss » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:08 pm

So small temperatures?
----------
fun notebooks