My simple expansion device

Talk about anything else you want

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

notaz
Very interested

My simple expansion device

Post by notaz » Tue May 19, 2009 12:52 pm

Just wanted to show my hardware stuff :)

A while ago I made this simple expansion memory device to run stuff from expansion port:
Far from the best soldering around but hey, it works! The FeRAM was a bit pricey, but it's very convenient to do stuff with MoD's cable without need of MegaCD. The edge connector is one I removed from dead famiclone maybe 10 years ago, so not in the best shape (can't find such connector anywhere nowadays).

As a bonus, here is my MD in it's 10Mpix glory:
Quiz: try find out what those switches do :)

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Tue May 19, 2009 2:03 pm

so thick wires....

nice job, and Famiclone cartslots are like made for MCD connector :P

2 of those switches are for region, others might be related to halting...

and the nice Hitachi CMOS 68K :)
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Wed May 20, 2009 3:42 am

Here is my very first "system" cartrige for MD, that contains OS and allows do some stuff with cartriges.
As you can see I used wires too.

As for switches, I agree with TmEE:
TmEE co.(TM) wrote:2 of those switches are for region, others might be related to halting...
First two for region, second two for switching !CART signal (you say you used your extension slot cart for booting, it useless without cartrige ;)) and for, maybe, M68K halt signal generation or 50Hz/60Hz switch (like I made - region setup independ of frame frequency ;)).

notaz
Very interested

Post by notaz » Wed May 20, 2009 9:44 am

HardWareMan wrote:Here is my very first "system" cartrige for MD, that contains OS and allows do some stuff with cartriges.
Heh, nobody can beat your mod device arsenal :)
HardWareMan wrote: As for switches, I agree with TmEE:
TmEE co.(TM) wrote:2 of those switches are for region, others might be related to halting...
First two for region, second two for switching !CART signal (you say you used your extension slot cart for booting, it useless without cartrige ;)) and for, maybe, M68K halt signal generation or 50Hz/60Hz switch (like I made - region setup independ of frame frequency ;)).
Mostly correct, switches are (from left to right): 50/60Hz, region, CART_IN and the last one is M3 (mark3 or SMS mode). This allows me to run SMS games up to 32kB (ones without banking) from MX flashcart, only need to write data to odd bytes. This is more then enough for running tests in SMS mode too :)

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Wed May 20, 2009 11:15 am

notaz wrote:
HardWareMan wrote:Here is my very first "system" cartrige for MD, that contains OS and allows do some stuff with cartriges.
Heh, nobody can beat your mod device arsenal :)
You don't made !DTACK mode. ;) My system will not lockup when accessing to forbidden areas (and there is status flag, that saying was original !DTACK or not ;)), but VDP unlock is still required.

Show your mod stuff.

notaz
Very interested

Post by notaz » Fri May 22, 2009 9:29 am

HardWareMan wrote:Show your mod stuff.
I have no more at the moment.

You probably misunderstood, what I said is that you have done more mods then anybody else :)

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Sat May 23, 2009 6:28 am

notaz wrote:
HardWareMan wrote:Show your mod stuff.
I have no more at the moment.
You probably misunderstood, what I said is that you have done more mods then anybody else :)
Got it. My fault. But I have not as much as you think.

SmartOne
Very interested

Post by SmartOne » Sat May 23, 2009 11:49 pm

And I thought my S-video mod was hard...

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Sun May 24, 2009 3:39 am

notaz wrote:Heh, nobody can beat your mod device arsenal :)
I've got it. You talking about this devices?
HardWareMan wrote:When !CART signal goes low (log.0) then !CE0 signal works as chip select for cartrige, and !ROM signal on expansion slot is disabled (always log.1). And vice versa: when !CART goes high (log.1) then !CE0 is disabled (always log.1) and !ROM activates on lower 2MB address space. So, I don't get how he get access to cartrige while boot in his FLASH. That's possible only if make some change in MD schema.
Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. I made this:
HDD for MD.
Boot OS cartrige for MD.
And PS/2 keyboard controller to Joystick 2 port. Unfortunately, there are no fotos of it.
BTW, MD get power thru HDD addon.
But this ones actually not MOD devices. It's just addons devices. That is was confuse me.