MegaDrive.Org Wiki Organization

Talk about anything else you want

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

ElBarto
Very interested

MegaDrive.Org Wiki Organization

Post by ElBarto » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:26 pm

Hello,

I was talking with Gerrie about the organization of the wiki before starting to really fill it and we think about talking about it here.

I think that to have a good and efficient wiki where information can be easily found it needs to be well organized.

Here is what I think :

Use MediaWiki NameSpace for each categories (for now it's just "fake" namespace).
The first two categories I think of is Development and Hardware.

Hardware category :

- One page per model of megadrive/megacd/32X/pico/etc ... hardware with pcb scan, list of cpu/asic etc ...
- One page per cpu/asic etc ... with pics, pins and signal.
- One page per peripherals (menacer, sega tap etc ...) with good description of how to use it in a game (code or pseudo-code).

Development category :

- One sub-category for setting up a dev environment (like the actual one)
- One sub-category with info on the development ifself divide in other sub-category (System, graphics, audio, IO etc ...) and that for each "platform".

Of course, for now, we can't really know what should be the best but starting with correct organization should help us in the future.

What do you think ?

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:48 pm

Wiki must start from articles, not from categories. Categories are additional sorting feature, they can be added later. Important feature of MW is that you can change everything anytime, so you don't need to plan everything from very start.