Megadrive1 overclocking using EDClk

Talk about anything else you want

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

Jorge Nuno
Very interested

Megadrive1 overclocking using EDClk

Post by Jorge Nuno » Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:35 am

A little detail about the EDClk:
It's not a pure clock signal - during horizontal synchronization it's frequency is MasterClk/5 (~10.6MHz), but in active-video it's MasterClk/4 (~13.3MHz), I think it's an input to the VDP, after coming from a low-passfilter, which means that during active-video the clock amplitude is smaller. Before the filter the signal is good (constant amplitude), and that includes the B15 pin from the cartslot.

Now some info about the DTAck signal; probably most of the megadrive hardware lovers know this:
Each active device "responding" to the CPU drives the signal low (VDP/BUScontroller/Extra hardware at the cartridge port) but it's never driven high, (to avoid short-circuit) so a pull-up resistor is required (and there is one of 2.2k).

The problem: This signal has a huge capacitance, so DTAck will quickly go low, but the rise is slooowwww... (sometimes it doesn't reach Vcc/2 using EDClk as a CPU clk and sinks again :shock: )

This means that:
CPU accesses ROM -> DTAck activated (low);
CPU accesses IO, DTAck is still low (or below trigger level);
CPU continues to run, but the R/W probably missed!

Solution: make DTAck rising edge faster... How? Replacing 2.2K with a 910Ohm resistor or leave the 2.2K resistor and connect one in parallel with 1.8K. (Average current flow when DTAck is forced-low is 5.5mA).

In normal occasions DTAck is activated one cycle (~130nanoseconds) after AS, never less so don't worry about using slow-motion-memories as long as they are faster than that, it's safe. (actually the address is already set-up before AS, so maybe 150ns are accepted).

MD1 CPU sucessfully overclocked to... errr.. EDClk MHz, fully stable and with sound of course. No shitty halt switches, just hardwire the CPU with EDClk before the filter, and it's fine.

Remember that the memory accesses aren't affected with the overclock, unless you snap in some modern/faster memories and sink DTAck before 130ns yourself.

Coming in near future is a picture of new/old DTAck waveform.

[speculation]
Also I beleive that EDClk is always MasterClk/5 in 256 pixel mode...
[/speculation]

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:52 am

You said that EDCLK=MCLK/5. So, in my case it must be 53.2034MHz/5=10.64Mhz But, when I try to meassure B15 pin (EDCLK on cartslot) device shows me 13.06MHz (~53.2034Mhz/4). So, where is the truth?
And when I look at EDCLK in oscilloscope, I see solid 50% duty wave (almost square, but it almost reaches to limits of my oscilloscope frequency). Without changes or something else.
PS If whe get PAL mode, then active scan line takes 48mks. When enabled 320 pixel width mode, it will be: 1/(48/320)=6.66MHz. It looks like EDCLK/2: 13.06MHz/2=6.53MHz. All calculating errors is in measurement errors, I guess.

Jorge Nuno
Very interested

Post by Jorge Nuno » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:42 pm

I said that the frequency of EDClk is MasterClk/5 only on Hsync region.

The signal is clean in the cart slot pin, I've said that too, it's filtered when it passes through the filter.

Correction: The signal is made by the VDP.
Correction2: No it isn't :shock: :lol:
Last edited by Jorge Nuno on Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:33 pm

I thought EDCLK corresponded to twice of the internal VDP dot clock

in H32 mode, dot clock = MCLK/10
in H40 mode, dot clock = MCLK/8
I said that the frequency of EDClk is MasterClk/5 only on Hsync region.
could it be that during HSYNC, the dot clock is changed to always use MCLK/10 ?

this could be useful to calculate the exact amount of pixels in H40 mode

Jorge Nuno
Very interested

Post by Jorge Nuno » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Eke wrote: could it be that during HSYNC, the dot clock is changed to always use MCLK/10 ?

this could be useful to calculate the exact amount of pixels in H40 mode
Probably. The HSync pin, according to Charles is able to output the pixel clock itself, setting one undocumented bit in a VDP register (don't remeber).

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:21 am

Jorge Nuno wrote:I said that the frequency of EDClk is MasterClk/5 only on Hsync region.
I heard what you said. But if we take this:
Eke wrote:in H32 mode, dot clock = MCLK/10
in H40 mode, dot clock = MCLK/8
Then, I must get:
53.20MHz/10=5.32MHz
53.20MHZ/8=6.65MHz
And that is very noticeable changing of frequency. But I saw nothing at oscilloscope. Maybe, I must use 32H mode - I'll check this out. But looks like you are right: Hblank period not changes, and VDP must take all sprites to build new scanline in all available resolutions.
Eke wrote:I thought EDCLK corresponded to twice of the internal VDP dot clock
Thinking in same thing.
HardWareMan wrote:It looks like EDCLK/2: 13.06MHz/2=6.53MHz.

Jorge Nuno
Very interested

Post by Jorge Nuno » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:31 pm

Jorge Nuno wrote: Probably. The HSync pin, according to Charles is able to output the pixel clock itself, setting one undocumented bit in a VDP register (don't remeber).
In fact it is the Vsync pin that outputs the pixel clock when Register 0C is | 0x40 (bit6 is set)

The Hsync has an unknown alternate function (Charles says it's always 1, but I think it's dumb to make a dual function pin that the alternate function is '1' :? )

Anyone with a scope and a writable cart can do this little test...

http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/txt/vdppin.txt

Jorge Nuno
Very interested

Post by Jorge Nuno » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:38 pm

Bump! :D

HWMan, look:

HSync on 1 (yellow), Trigger on falling edge.
EDClk on 2 (blue)
(320pixel width display)

EDClk frequency changes to MClk/5 on HSync '0' state and returns back to MClk/4 on the '1' state. I forgot to check on the vertical blanking period :oops: (next week)

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:35 am

Jorge Nuno wrote:Bump! :D

HWMan, look:
EDClk frequency changes to MClk/5 on HSync '0' state and returns back to MClk/4 on the '1' state. I forgot to check on the vertical blanking period :oops: (next week)
Mmm... I see. It's change cycle duty. "1" stays same and "0" is stretched. I think, when MCLK/4 it has 1100 and when MCLK/5 it has 11000. That is interesting. Thanks.

Jorge Nuno
Very interested

Post by Jorge Nuno » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:45 pm

Umm... Let's see how it looks like in Vsync period:

It chages frequency to Mclk/5 when Csync falls (Hsync rises)... Weird (should be the opposite)

But! After 15 pulses of Mclk/5 it changes back to Mclk/4 (in the middle), but only for 2 pulses (what the fu..!?):

And then, more 15 pulses of Mclk/5. After that, it stays on Mclk/4 until the next Csync falling edge:

The Edclk is generated on the 315-5433 on VA6 boards, it passes through a ferrite bead (FB7) then goes to the cart slot and the VDP (yellow)
(so it's not made by the VDP):
Blue is what my 315-5433 outputs on pin #158 (much cleaner and ready to go to the 68k :D )
____

BTW here is my DTACK after changing the pullup resistor to 910 Ohm (yellow):
(blue is the cart CE)

tomaitheous
Very interested

Post by tomaitheous » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:27 am

Nice :D

Is it possible you could look at both the interlaced and non interlaced signals? On the interlaced signal, if it really does have like 20+ half scanlines in vblank. Also the equalization pulse scanlines. If they alternate (invert) every other field in interlaced mode.

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:18 am

hey, this looks interesting

could it mean the VDP internal pixel clock is not "constantly" MCLK/5 in H40 mode ?

also, could you do similar tests as Charles McDonald did for the SMS:

http://www.smspower.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8161

Jorge Nuno
Very interested

Post by Jorge Nuno » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:13 pm

I could do that, in Edclk's units, though I will mention the exact moment the frequency changes, so that the exact period can be calculated.
It's just that counting manually in terms of Mclks it's difficult and I could get lost, and do the count again. Don't worry about half or third cycles because Hsync and Vsync seem to change always on the same phase of Edclk...

I can show the "2xresolution" interlaced, but not the progressive one...

Jorge Nuno
Very interested

Post by Jorge Nuno » Sat May 16, 2009 2:32 pm

bump

There's 1 more serious issue, when overclocking the CPU, this:
Yellow is /AS signal, Blu is /DTACK. (using Edclk for the 68k), wave persistence is 5 seconds.

As it can be seen, the access times vary between 125ns and ~25ns, due to the fact the AS signal is asserted at random, regarding the original clock, because EDclk and Vclk are assynchrounous each other. Which means that all signals that use /AS to generate themselves, must be based from the clk that is suplied to the 68k, like this:
steady ~75ns from /AS to /DTACK, again using EDclk :wink:

So the 68k clk network must be interconnected, but there is a problem:
- the VDP outputs Mclk/7 on the Vclk pin, and a lot of memory access signals are based from it.

Luckily there is a VDP pin that stops the VDP from making the Mclk/7 signal and chagnes the Vclk pin to an input, so any clk can be supplied to it and the mem signals will be based from whatever clk is there (like pic2).

That pin is SEL1, it has to be tied to 5V. Thats pin #48 on the discrete VDP.

But this will lead to another issue:
- the YM2612 will be without clk. Mclk/7 has to be obtained from an external divider, using a shift register connected to the onboard 53MHz osc.

For the LULZ:

42ns acess times :shock:
It is the same thing as before but not using EDclk, that was with an external 24MHz metal can oscillator, and this gives theese results using Tmee bench prog: