new server

Talk about anything else you want

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

evildragon
Very interested

new server

Post by evildragon » Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:05 am

Well, I got a new domain controller for my network here (which I do serve the whole neighbor hood with this thing---via a large wifi system)...

Thing is, my old domain controller was 933MHz Pentium III, 512MB RAM, and it was choking, answering all sorts of requests.. one user logs onto VPN from the internet, another prints something, and another requests files.. it was all bogging the CPU down, and taking up RAM...

I decided to finally give in and get a new server..

The new server is an HP NetServer E 800.. It has dual 1GHz Pentium III's, 2GB RAM, and let me tell you, this thing is a beast.. It puts the old server to shame.. Even though right now my other RAM sticks haven't come in yet, and I'm running on the 512MB from the old one, just the dual CPU alone is kicking major ass.. Windows 2003 Enterprise is really doing a good job at the load balancing...

And this with a new HD, twice the size of the new one. ;)

The Server: http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/server.jpg

The Dual's Running: http://blackevilweredragon.spymac.com/newdc.jpg

-------------------------------------------

So, has anyone here dealt with, or even attempted to program, for a dual processor system? How hard is it? I was wanting to program for this new server, and take advantage of the dual CPU's, just to experiment with...

meshounah
Interested

Post by meshounah » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:16 pm

so you give youe neighbors wifi?
chickens!

evildragon
Very interested

Post by evildragon » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:23 am

meshounah wrote:so you give youe neighbors wifi?
in a limited way.. most of them have internet access...

i give them free access to storage (a shared 160GB drive), and a printer in case of an emergency, among other things..