Picked up a 32x

Talk about anything else you want

Moderator: BigEvilCorporation

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Picked up a 32x

Post by djcouchycouch » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:28 am

Picked up a 32x and a second Genesis Model 2 today (with 6 button pad!) for 40$ on Kijiji. Quite a deal compared to to what's usually available.

Anyway, is it me or is the image quality from the 32x much clearer than a stock Genesis? I was running Goplanes on it and noticed that the colors were a lot more even and less blotchy.

What kind of video mods can be performed on a 32x? s-video? component?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:38 am

Yes, it's well known that the video encoder in the 32X is better than even the best Model 1 encoder. It uses the RGB out of the MD mixed with the RGB out from the 32X VDP to feed a better encoder. This means even MD games look better, which people always misinterpreted as meaning the 32X made the game look BETTER - more AWESOME - faster - etc, when all they meant was improved video quality. :lol:

Yes, you can do an svideo mod on the 32X, which will also then give you svideo for MD games as well. You can also use RGB out from the 32X for RGB monitors, VGA upscalers, or external component encoders just like the RGB out from the MD.

And welcome to the 32X Club! You got a hell of a deal there! :D

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:46 am

Chilly Willy wrote:Yes, it's well known that the video encoder in the 32X is better than even the best Model 1 encoder. It uses the RGB out of the MD mixed with the RGB out from the 32X VDP to feed a better encoder. This means even MD games look better, which people always misinterpreted as meaning the 32X made the game look BETTER - more AWESOME - faster - etc, when all they meant was improved video quality. :lol:
I'm quite happy at the video quality improvement. The standard Genesis video quality is pretty icky.
Chilly Willy wrote:Yes, you can do an svideo mod on the 32X, which will also then give you svideo for MD games as well. You can also use RGB out from the 32X for RGB monitors, VGA upscalers, or external component encoders just like the RGB out from the MD.
I don't suppose there's a way to connect to my LCD TV through component with just some kind of cable or adapter is there?
Chilly Willy wrote:And welcome to the 32X Club! You got a hell of a deal there! :D
Thanks! One day I'd like to dabble with programming something on it. Maybe once Goplanes is done in a million years.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:30 am

There's no simple way to get component... the closest to simple is using a SCART RGB cable and a compatible SCART RGB to component converter. You would probably do better reading the many threads on the subject over at SEGA-16. Even then some TVs handle the SEGA signal better than others - a bunch of LCD TVs don't handle the 240 progressive display very well... they treat the signal as interlaced, even if it isn't. A few won't even show the signal at all since it doesn't meet broadcast standards.