Add a pause button to the super magic drive for sms games...

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
greatfunky

Add a pause button to the super magic drive for sms games...

Post by greatfunky » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:32 pm

Hi all,

I'm a super magic drive owner ( 2 units 16 & 24 meg) , and playing some sms game on it .
As some people know , the smd has a lack of the sms pause function , very annoying with some games.
I was looking at the power base converter schematics http://devster.monkeeh.com/segapage.html
and thinking if it's possible to mod the smd board with a switch to get the pause function.

I know that KanedaFr & Charles MacDonald have a great knowledge about the smd maybe they know if it's possible !!?

KRIKzz
Interested

Re: Add a pause button to the super magic drive for sms game

Post by KRIKzz » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:40 pm

greatfunky wrote:Hi all,

I'm a super magic drive owner ( 2 units 16 & 24 meg) , and playing some sms game on it .
As some people know , the smd has a lack of the sms pause function , very annoying with some games.
I was looking at the power base converter schematics http://devster.monkeeh.com/segapage.html
and thinking if it's possible to mod the smd board with a switch to get the pause function.

I know that KanedaFr & Charles MacDonald have a great knowledge about the smd maybe they know if it's possible !!?
it is pretty easy. you just should connect button to B10(addr 23) and to GND. better via 100 ohm resistor

greatfunky

Post by greatfunky » Sun Jan 08, 2012 1:11 pm

Thank you KRIKzz !!!

Just a mistake : B10 is address 22 & B11 is address 23

After a look to the power base converter schematics the good connection is on B11 address 23 , that pin isn't used on the super magic drive.

I wasn't sure that it work on the smd like on your everdrive...

So i try the tips with a wire soldered to a 100 ohm resistor , i touch the ground on the smd pcb and it work !! :shock:
for example i can access now to the menu in alex kidd in miracle world
now i just have to put a pushing switch

As far as i know , no one has never done this mod on the smd , but it work!!

Thanks again for your help KRIKzz !!! :wink: