USB Super Magic Drive

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Yes, I'm trying to use my AVR as a host :)
Wasn't clear enought on the inital post ? :oops:

doc about the Super Magic Drive is from Charles site : http://cgfm2.emuviews.com/txt/smdtech.txt
or using vgs/ucon64/RBDUtil source (see my SMD page links)

Picture of the system available here

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Tue Jul 27, 2010 5:09 am

Hehe... They use SPP (byte output/nibble input transfer) mode! Not surprizing: in early 90s there was no EPP devices. And even in SPP mode they use bitbang custom mode. So, feel free to implement read/write control sequences totally in AVR. I mean, AVR recieve from USB control/data "packet", then transfer it to target device. And vice versa: AVR reads data from target device and then send data "packet" via USB to host. For application software this will be as regular I/O communication port, wich can recieve and send data. ;) Go on. I think, even AT90USB162 will be enough for this task.

Update.

Just saw pictures. My congradulations, you can easy increase total SRAM/DRAM to full 4Mbytes (32 Mbits) size. It is possible for present days, just replace daughter memory card with new one, wich will be use new chips with bigger volume. Nothing hard for this. ;)

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:52 am

Great! So finally I wasn't so lost !

Thanks for the tips about RAM.
In fact, I'm more interested on how to replace the ugly SRAM battery for a less dangerous one to avoid this :

(note it's a 32M version!)

(from Tototek forum)

Tototek sells NiCd replacement one but would like to replace it with a 'flat' battery from CR2032 family....avoid leak and easier to replace

Battery info : VARTA Ni-Cd 3/V60R 3.6V 60mAh