Should I open the Hardware forum ?

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)

Poll ended at Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:57 pm

Keep it to registered members only
43%
Open it to everyone
57%

Total votes: 14

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:57 pm

When I created the Hardware forum, I made it private.
The main goal was to avoid 'unfair' use of hardware details and mod listed on this forum.

Right now, I'm not sure it's still a valid reason...since it could also be improve, etc...

Since a lot of people here shared their Flash card details, what do you think ?
Should I open it to everyone and so perhaps make more people register ?

AamirM
Very interested

Post by AamirM » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:09 pm

Wouldn't keeping it private make more people register? (So that they can view it)

But if people who have shared their mods and projects here are happy enough, then why not.

Shiru
Very interested

Post by Shiru » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Is unregistered people even aware about hidden subforums?

I don't understand the original reason to hide it. Is software details, or any other, can't be used 'unfairly'?

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:31 pm

others people can see a hardware forum exists...not its content, not even the subjects

To be totaly honest, this forum was initialy private because it seems NeoTeam 'stole' the hardware idea for their flash card from someone here.

please note I'm not against NeoTeam, it's just I don't want to see someone else stop working on hardware because of this kind of problem.

About software, I don't think there is something which could be used to make money...unless to burn a game and sold it on ebay.
I think there is more money to make with flash cards than with games.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:20 pm

How can you "steal" an idea? I think most people would call that "inspired". There's also not much to steal - an adapter that allows you to plug a GBA/NDS flash cart into a MD... and remember that this may have started selling last year, but is actually several years old. Many of the Neo "projects" debut on their forum three to five years before they start selling.

Anyway, I like having certain forums "locked" so that regular people can't post to them as they invariably "pollute" those forums with pages of posts that add nothing to the thread.

I don't mind letting anyone READ the hardware forum, but restrict writing to those registered members who have shown they can contribute without spamming threads.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:34 am

I don't have the details sorry.

Right, half of you think it should remain closed...could you argue ?

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:03 pm

I gave mine:
Anyway, I like having certain forums "locked" so that regular people can't post to them as they invariably "pollute" those forums with pages of posts that add nothing to the thread.

I don't mind letting anyone READ the hardware forum, but restrict writing to those registered members who have shown they can contribute without spamming threads.
Counter-arguments anyone?

dtech
Interested

Post by dtech » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Well, locking it to registered users realy doesn't protect anything, as anybody can register there and steal the ideas/schematics e.t.c. Couldn't there be any users from neoteam/whateverteam?

So I think it should be open. By the way, posting any replies anywhere in this forum is allowed only for registered users anyways.

There, however, could be some more restricted area for some closed technical/organisatorial blahter, but I think most private stuff and some sensitive papers exchange can be done via PMs.

Even if we would someday start developing some game (that would realy be planned to be released on whatever deadline schedule or released at all (unlike pier-s)), and even if it would be planned as commercial, then anyways most of the sensitive stuff would require controlled flow and distribution between a limited circle of people.

In my opinion, however, anybody should be able to enjoy the game (if we ever will make anything) at least fairly (without intentionaly crippling) squashed and fitted into 4MBytes and standard hardware, distributed freely as a ROM image, and for all those who want to support development and have a hardware copy, those could get the cart that has a non standard huge banked ROM, and SVP-like "accelerator"/extended features/synth chip (that I could develop for the purpose).

Chip register map then should be something that has open description available to anyone (so that guys could code emulation someday), however exact ASIC/FPGA internals should be treated as sensitive (an o anyways would not be posted out in a forum).

Flygon
Very interested

Post by Flygon » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:26 am

I see no reason to make this forum private if all you need to do is register to view it anyway.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:45 pm

dtech wrote:There, however, could be some more restricted area for some closed technical/organisatorial blahter, but I think most private stuff and some sensitive papers exchange can be done via PMs.
It's already possible :)
There are currently 2 private forums for some mysterious projects :D
Chip register map then should be something that has open description available to anyone (so that guys could code emulation someday), however exact ASIC/FPGA internals should be treated as sensitive (an o anyways would not be posted out in a forum).
There is already a forum what only some trusted people could access for that.
else, yes, I can make a dedicated forum.

I'm only after the best way to
- open megadrive development
- help any project
- avoid any wanted event

Guys, I only want to be sure you won't stop sharing or even talk about your great hardware mods !!

HardWareMan
Very interested

Post by HardWareMan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:27 am

I do not mind to open this hardware section of forum. And I will go on with Sega MD/G research and development. Are you happy now?