help needed for megadrive audio modding.

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
panzeroceania
Interested

Re: help needed for megadrive audio modding.

Post by panzeroceania » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:49 am

humbug wrote:I made contact with a member named Tiido Priimägi... asking for his advice.

He replied:
This will not work because the YM2608 is not fully software compatiblewith YM2612, all games using the DAC channel will not have PCM samplesounds. I don't think the output is something other DACs can handlebesides Yamaha's own. I do think its far easier to use an ADC+morechips to get SPDIF out of MD.....also you cannot leave the input pins on the 2608 unused, they mustbe tied to either ground or VCC.
would it not work with any games? or even partially work with some?

I have a Model 1 VA3 and would like to at least do a line level stereo audio tap, avoiding the headphone section.

I don't know if I would want to replace the yamaha chip but the prospect of some games with true digital audio is tempting.
Last edited by panzeroceania on Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sat Jul 16, 2011 7:07 am

While you have the YMF digitfied, you still have PSG that is completely analog aswell as MegaCD and 32X sounds which are all in analog form too in the MD. Inside MCD you could hook up something to the PCM and CDDA DACs but you would need some kind of digital signal summer for all the digital sources you got, unless your amp can do it for you...
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen

panzeroceania
Interested

Post by panzeroceania » Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:56 pm

ah yes, that does complicate things a bit. I'd have to look up how to add the signals together.