Arcade hardware based on the Genesis.

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
cdoty
Very interested

Arcade hardware based on the Genesis.

Post by cdoty » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:31 pm

I'm sure most of you are aware of the Megaplay and C/C2 based arcade systems that are based on Genesis hardware (or the other way around).

There are also at least three systems emulated by MAME that use 'pirate' Genesis chips. The only one that works correctly is Puckman Pockimon. It does not have a Z80 though.

Yanton (pretty well known in the Neo Geo community) sells these boards for $68 each
http://www.arcademvs.com/pcb/PCB_pacman.htm

I did a quick port of Frog Feast to the system, and it worked by only changing the location of the joystick input reads. The only other thing I had to do was swap the bits around. (If anyone is interested in this, I will upload it). It doesn't have sound yet, but that looks fairly easy to implement, I think.

I am waiting to receive the board for futher testing. It will be very easy to test software on the system, since it uses common eproms, such as the 27040 and 27020.

cdoty
Very interested

Post by cdoty » Mon Dec 11, 2006 8:40 pm

I received the board, and attempted to get code running on it. I was unable to get it working. It may be a protection issue of some sort (or a header issue).

The board is nicely built, but the video rolls on the monitor.

plee
Very interested

Post by plee » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:51 pm

I'm curious has anybody taken apart one of those all-in-one games (the one that looks like Genesis games) to see what hardware is used.

cdoty
Very interested

Post by cdoty » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:40 am

Here's a page about the hardware:
http://devster.monkeeh.com/sega/radica/