- Should work with just about anything out there
- Cheap to make (there's only a single component, everything else is wiring)
- Doesn't play nice with multiplayer, unless you're OK with hotswapping or multitaps
- Moving it to port 3 won't work since way too many systems lack this port
- Also wouldn't be trivial to retreive the data from or into a PC
More things to consider:
- I'm saying 24C64 here but anything similar would work (e.g. 24LC64 can take 5V too)
- It seems there are larger sized serial EEPROMs too, may want to look into those?
As for the filesystem, I need to write up the exact specs yet. Would probably use 32 byte blocks since that's the size of a page. Filenames would be encoded using a 40 value charset (this way I can cram three characters into two bytes), as follows:
Code: Select all
0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z . - '