I fixed my Nomad!

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
8bitwizard
Very interested

I fixed my Nomad!

Post by 8bitwizard » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:17 am

I have two Sega Nomad units, one that I bought new back in the day, and another that I found about seven or eight years ago.

My first unit had always been flaky, and I thought it was the cartridge slot. When the second unit worked fine, I just set the first one aside and mostly forgot about it. At some point (when I was playing using batteries and having no problems), I thought it might be the power jack.

Just now, it was more convenient for me to grab the old one, and it went flaky almost immediately. I found out that sure enough I could jiggle the power cord and get it to reset. So I went to open it up and resolder the jack.

The hard part of opening one of these up is that the bottom screw (behind the mode/start buttons) is a gamebit screw. And it's in a deep hole just a little smaller than the average gamebit. I wedged it in there and tried to unscrew it, but it didn't seem to go. So I unscrewed the other four screws and found out that the gamebit screw was already loose.

I disconnected the cable that connects the digital and analog boards, then removed the seven screws that hold down the analog board. The LCD cable is soldered to the analog board, but I could get it open far enough to reach the pins of the power jack.

Once I had resoldered the joints, I put it back together. And it worked perfectly. So now I have one in a PSP carrying case for travel, and one that I can use at home.

TmEE co.(TM)
Very interested

Post by TmEE co.(TM) » Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:59 pm

Any pictures of it ? Your Nomad's problem is present on most today's famicom clones, I always need to resolder all ports on them. I almost make living out of doing such stuff :wink:
Mida sa loed ? Nagunii aru ei saa ;)
http://www.tmeeco.eu
Files of all broken links and images of mine are found here : http://www.tmeeco.eu/FileDen