Plug Megadrive to recent TV

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
tryphon
Very interested

Plug Megadrive to recent TV

Post by tryphon » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:40 pm

Hi,

as said in a previous thread, I just bought a (PAL) MD on ebay, 25 years after my first one :)

Believe it or not, I never realized that my current TV didn't have a Péritel / SCART. Now I know.

So I'm wondering what are the different options for linking my MD and my TV. Quality and price are my main concerns.

From what I see, my TV has the following connectors for :
* HDMI
* PC IN : maybe VGA ?
* something labeled PC/DVI AUDIO IN
* something labeled DVI
* Something that could be RCA (a yellow connector for audio, and a white one which is supposed receive Y/Pb/Pr)
* A connector labelled EXT (RGB) : not really sure about what it is

While I'm at it, I also bought a Dreamcast and would prefer not to have to buy two adapters :)

TheMole

Post by TheMole » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:36 pm

* Something that could be RCA (a yellow connector for audio, and a white one which is supposed receive Y/Pb/Pr)

Are you sure about this? Yellow RCA is normally for composite video, and white RCA for mono audio. Red RCA should be for the other audio channel.

If the above connections are there (and they typically are, even on very modern TV's), you can simply wire up your own RCA connectors following the applicable diagram on this site: http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/genesisav.htm

Basically, you wire the composite pin to the center pin of the yellow RCA connector, the audio pin to the center pin of the white RCA connector and then ground pin to the outer shield of both RCA connectors.

tryphon
Very interested

Post by tryphon » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:23 pm

I had a closer look at the back of my TV (it's on a wall so it isn't easy to access it) and the yellow connector is for Video / Audio L & R combined (?)

And the white Y/Pb/Pr is in fact green :P

But I've found a specific connector (the EXT RGB, it may be specific to Samsung) on which I can plug a SCART adapter (I forgot I had it), so all is fine.

Thanks for your answer :)