Everdrive vs Mega Everdrive?

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
POLYGAMe
Very interested

Everdrive vs Mega Everdrive?

Post by POLYGAMe » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:37 am

Hi guys,

Just starting out with SMD dev and was wondering if there are any great advantages in getting the Mega Everdrive over the standard model, other than the game saving? From what I gather though, the Everdrive can save games too, right? Just not at any point?

Anyway, I will be using it to play games (give the old carts a rest) but also for dev. Just wondering if it's worth the massive leap in dollars to get the Mega version.

Cheers!

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:35 pm

If you can spare the cash, the Mega Everdrive is probably your best choice. I have a regular Everdrive but since I need to copy to an sdcard every time I want to test on hardware the debugging loop is slow. So I test on emulators mostly, then try on hardware once I'm done. Had the Mega Everdrive been out I would've gotten that one.

POLYGAMe
Very interested

Post by POLYGAMe » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:04 pm

So you can link up via cable to Mega Everdrive? That doesn't interest me too much as I'll mainly be using emulators... Will only test on actual hardware from time to time.

elusive
Very interested

Post by elusive » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:27 pm

I believe the Mega Everdrive supports roms that are over 4MB. I know there are a few hacks out there of games, like Mortal Kombat, that will only play in emulator due to size, until the Mega ED came out.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:25 pm

elusive wrote:I believe the Mega Everdrive supports roms that are over 4MB. I know there are a few hacks out there of games, like Mortal Kombat, that will only play in emulator due to size, until the Mega ED came out.
Yes, it supports up to a 10 MB rom - as long as you don't have the CD or 32X plugged in. Both interfere with roms larger than 4 MB. You also need the DTACK line for 10 MB roms (a concern on the Model 3).