Service manuals of various Sega machines !

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:07 pm

Nice work! Downloading now...
:D

Huge
Very interested

Post by Huge » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:48 pm

You are saving the best for the last, aren't you?
I bet those MD1 and MCD manuals are gonna be sweeeeeet.

omp
Interested

Post by omp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:45 pm

(Same link as above)

IC specifications, 32X with 32X service bulletins added.

That will be it until I go back to work on monday.

I will be doing the Mega/Sega CD manual which due to the size might take a while to do. I will be numbering the pages manually for ease as at the moment it is just paper thrown together.

omp
Interested

Post by omp » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:40 pm

Does anybody know what is going on with the manuals won here?

Other folks are asking the question....

Cheers Pete

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:49 pm

Hi,

Sorry for the lack of update : daughter then wife went ill
Scanning will start soon

Stef
Very interested

Post by Stef » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:04 pm

Thanks a tons for scanning and sharing ! Some valuable informations are now saved :)

omp
Interested

Post by omp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:16 am

I have started to scan the Sega/Mega CD manual, it will take a couple of days due to the size (over 100pages) and that some pages are single sided, while others are double sided (have to feed it in a couple of sheets at a time).

I have asked over at Assembler forums for help with translating, someone has volunteered who *maybe able to help.

I also got a quote from a translation service, 10cents a character. Did a rough calculation around $1400AU (give or take) to translate the Japanese parts to English.

Some of the IC's can be found on Google in English. I picked one at random, MB3790 which is a battery backup IC, so these sorts of pages aren't to bad.

When done I will upload the manual as it is and hopefully someone will be able to translate it for us. Some of the pages I don't hold too much hope for as the text is originally small and maybe to hard read.

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:19 am

Do you have an example of what the Japanese text parts look like? Depending on the characters used some parts are easier to translate than others. I can muddle my way through katakana and hiragana when I need to.

omp
Interested

Post by omp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 am

I will soon-ish when I upload the manual, maybe tonight....maybe.

omp
Interested

Post by omp » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:40 pm

(Link to Sega-16 is same as before)

Have added the A4 PDF of the Mega/Sega CD service manual, this was a bastard to do as some sheets were single sided while others were double sided (if I hadn't mentioned it already lol!).

I should have the re-done A4 TIF version and the 2 sets of A3 sheets done in the next day or so, I ask patience as my wife and I are going out tonight, so it maybe tomorrow night I get them uploaded.

Notes for the Mega/Sega CD manual.

1/When I got this manual it needed re-arranging as the sheet's were muddled up. I numbered the sheets as best I could in the lower left (apart from the index sheets of course), so I beg your pardon if you aren't a fan. These sheets had no reference to each other it was like it was slapped together as they remembered stuff.

2/I have left the sheets un-numbered for the Japanese "hard check" as these will have to translated, I did however number the hand written in Japanese IC 315-5548 sheets (these will have to be translated as well).

I have had 1 volunteer from Assembler games to translate but he (understandably) can't promise a time frame. If I get other volounteer's I don't mind co-ordinating and having it shared amongst people (I am not sure if that is a good idea or not?).

Cheers Pete

Eke
Very interested

Post by Eke » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:30 pm

wow, this one is really interesting, although most of the interesting things (especially G/A pinout and connection with other chips like CDD or CDC) are indeed in japanese

i'd also love to have access to these "check" cartridge and CD programs, this would have come very handy for emulation checks or regression tests

thanks a lot for all your efforts in purchasing and scanning all these Sega manuals

omp
Interested

Post by omp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:21 pm

Remainder of Mega CD manual uploaded.

Nemesis
Very interested

Post by Nemesis » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:50 pm

Hey omp, thanks for scanning these! I've already found a few gems of information just from a quick look.

I'm having trouble with the tif downloads though. The pdf download links are no problem, but with the tif links, maybe I'm missing something, but the links just take me to the first page of each manual which I can download the tif image for, but from there I can't find any way to get to the next pages. Are the full manuals available as tif images? If so, how do I find the following pages on dropbox?

omp
Interested

Post by omp » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:53 pm

I had a quick download of the A3 TIF for the MCD, it opens okay through Windows picture viewer.......

Huge
Very interested

Post by Huge » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:18 am

The TIFFs are in a multi-page-in-one-file format. Don't know the proper technical term for that, but most image editors can open up any page of those. However they have 1bit color while the PDFs are greyscale, so in theory the PDFs should have better quality.