Communication and/or networking between PC and Genesis?

For hardware talk only (please avoid ROM dumper stuff)
djcouchycouch
Very interested

Communication and/or networking between PC and Genesis?

Post by djcouchycouch » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:55 am

Hi,

What are the methods available to do PC/Genesis communication? Say I want to be able to get debug message in real time from the genesis to the PC? Or send commands to the Genesis?

Thanks!
DJCC

Mask of Destiny
Very interested

Post by Mask of Destiny » Sat Dec 29, 2012 2:38 am

The easiest method is probably through one of the controller ports. 4 pins for data with 2 pins for handshake will probably yield the best throughput. I've used such a cable connected to a parallel port in the past.

Using serial will probably use less CPU time (though at 4800 baud it's rather slow), but you'll need a level shifter to connect it to a PC serial port.

A Teensy USB is a decent option for connecting to a computer without a parallel or serial port.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:18 am

KRIKzz used to make a USB adapter for the controller port. You might check if he has any left over. I got two a couple years back that I plan to support in SGDK.

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:00 am

Chilly Willy wrote:KRIKzz used to make a USB adapter for the controller port. You might check if he has any left over. I got two a couple years back that I plan to support in SGDK.
I've found references to it, but the cable seems to be unavailable.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:28 am

He took down the old page on it. You can find it on wayback here:
http://web.archive.org/web/201105210536 ... -unit.html

He's still got the software for the link unit on his support page. You'd have to ask him directly if he has any more of these.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:20 pm

Mask of Destiny wrote:
A Teensy USB is a decent option for connecting to a computer without a parallel or serial port.
yep, definitly
Got the WIP project on this one

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:07 pm

KanedaFr wrote:
Mask of Destiny wrote:
yep, definitly
I'm not hardware inclined so any solution that's close enough to plug and play would be good for me. I'll email Krikzz about his link unit.

Chilly, how much were the devices when you bought them?

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:04 pm

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/718? is all you need
with the Serial part on the Genny and a terminal to communicate (like the powerfull realterm on windows)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:46 am

djcouchycouch wrote:I'll email Krikzz about his link unit.

Chilly, how much were the devices when you bought them?
Err - I don't remember. It wasn't much... $15? It couldn't have been much more than that. I bought two while I had the chance.

djcouchycouch
Very interested

Post by djcouchycouch » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:03 pm

Got a reply from Krikzz and he said he's out of the link devices and won't be making any more.

I have a Spartan 3 FPGA board. Does that count for anything? :)

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:26 pm

If he's sold them all and people are still asking for them, there's clearly still a market for the items. Seems that's what you'd WANT to make more of, not the items still in stock that aren't selling. :lol:

Oh well, maybe we can make a open version of an adapter... use a PIC part and design a simple two layer board.

MintyTheCat
Very interested

Post by MintyTheCat » Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:38 am

KanedaFr wrote:
Mask of Destiny wrote:
yep, definitly
These Devices could be used well for logging Data from the Megadrive - a very good Idea - cheers!

I feel that something like the Teensy USB could be greatly extended as it has more potential with the AVR/ARM Microcontrollers - 'clever' logging, triggering - many, many Options :)

For the Case of uploading Binaries and Programs into the Megadrive's WRAM I am stumped as I am unsure what type of Software to use to upload from the Host's USB to the Megadrive's Serial-Port - is there something general purpose for this or would something have to be written to support uploading? Apologies for the USB Ignorance :)

I have exactly the same Type of Needs as DJCC.

I wonder if Krikz would mind posting the Schematic as it would be helpful at this Stage.

Cheers.

foobat
Very interested

Post by foobat » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:35 am

I think Kaneda has it right with the ft232. That's what I'd use if I was making one of these.

Chilly Willy
Very interested

Post by Chilly Willy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 am

foobat wrote:I think Kaneda has it right with the ft232. That's what I'd use if I was making one of these.
Anything serial will be too slow to really be useful. Less than half a KB/sec instead of more than 30 KB/sec.

KanedaFr
Administrateur

Post by KanedaFr » Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:06 am

I personnally dislike the FTDI....always need drivers
I found 2 others USB to Serial IC which don't need driver and works on Linux
Don't remember the name (Cxxx and Pxxx ?)

For the speed, it's why I first plan to test with the serial available then use the MCD connector (thanks to research for the ECart)
I think any subhardware should use this connector not the EXT (or joy2)
Perhaps I'm wrong because i didn't confirm this with true test yet ;)